UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2006, 2:42 am   #1
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Non-UK Modulators Wanted

Hi,

Given the direction my interests are heading, I'd like to get my hands on a few more modulators for various standards. Not exactly being burdened with wealth I've hit on an idea for doing this cheaply

So, if anyone has any scrap VCRs lying around and wouldn't mind removing the modulator and sending it to me I'd appreciate it. It'd be useful if the power, ground and vision/sound connections could be identified as well as the supply voltage, but if this isn't possible I can probably figure it out.

If the ones I've seen in UK-spec VCRs are anything to go by, older, larger ones would be of more interest as these might be easier to modify. Anything would be of interest, though; as some would end up used unmodified anyway.

Also I'd be interested in any VHF ones for any standard; I gather that US VCRs tend to be fitted with VHF modulators - I have a vague idea that I might be able to modify and use a pair of US VHF modulators (one for sound, one for vision) for Systems A and E.

Did anywhere else use VHF modulators in VCRs?

Hopefully these things will work out small enough to ship to the UK cheaply enough; I'll offer to reimburse shipping costs via PayPal as this is fairly convenient though other arrangements may be possible.

Regards, Kat
Old 14th Sep 2006, 7:22 am   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Non-UK Modulators Wanted

Why not use David Robinson's published design? Fully software programmable to any standard. Also used in the new Aurora converter.
Old 14th Sep 2006, 9:14 am   #3
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Manton View Post
Did anywhere else use VHF modulators in VCRs?
Very common on NZ VCR's until the mid-90's, system B on NZ channel 2 or 3 (switchable) - ch 2 = 55.25 vision, 60.75 sound; ch 3 = 62.25 vision, 67.75 sound. If you're interested I'll ask a tech I know who may have access to numbers of dead VCRs.
Old 14th Sep 2006, 3:26 pm   #4
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
Why not use David Robinson's published design?
Possibly because I wasn't previously aware of it... Where was it published; it sounds like an option I should look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjoll View Post
system B on NZ channel 2 or 3 (switchable). If you're interested I'll ask a tech I know who may have access to numbers of dead VCRs.
Interesting I've just had a quick look at channel allocations, it seems NZ Ch.2/3 correspond exactly to channels used with System B in parts of Europe. One of those should work straight off with the Sondyna if I set Ch.3 to System B; which gives a nice straightforward way of getting 625-line pictures with sound out of it.

Given they're not exactly big and heavy I can hope that shipping several from NZ wouldn't cost an excessive amount otherwise that puts a dampener on the idea...

Regards, Kat
Old 14th Sep 2006, 3:35 pm   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Possibly because I wasn't previously aware of it... Where was it published; it sounds like an option I should look at.
It was discussed extensively here in the forum. I'll leave you to search for it because I can't remember where it's hiding. I'm not sure if he actually posted the schematics here or just made them available on request. Also worth reading the Aurora manual which is freely available from:

http://www.auroravideosys.com/converter/

I'm sure that both David and Darryl will be happy to discuss their designs.
Old 14th Sep 2006, 3:46 pm   #6
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Try post # 7 in this thread :-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...David+Robinson

Regards, Mick.
Old 14th Sep 2006, 5:20 pm   #7
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Just happens I have a couple of spare modulator chips here too.........

Cheers
Sean
Old 15th Sep 2006, 1:40 am   #8
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Given they're not exactly big and heavy I can hope that shipping several from NZ wouldn't cost an excessive amount otherwise that puts a dampener on the idea...
I'm not sure what they weigh, but I've just had a look on NZ Post's website http://www.nzpost.co.nz/Cultures/en-...Ratefinder.htm and with 1-2 week delivery 100g is $7.09 and 200g is $9.62 (multiply by 0.35 for approx. pounds stirling). Not too bad.
Old 15th Sep 2006, 3:21 am   #9
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjoll View Post
100g is $7.09 and 200g is $9.62 (multiply by 0.35 for approx. pounds stirling). Not too bad.
Definitely not bad... I just checked an extreme example, shipping 1kg of modulators is still only about ten quid, which would be fine with me. I'd doubt that a reasonable number of them would come near 1kg. I'd say maybe 3 or 4 would give me room for experimentation; more would be a bonus but I don't want to impose unduly on anyone's time removing the things.

Cheers, Kat
Old 15th Sep 2006, 8:02 am   #10
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Definitely not bad...
I checked this afternoon and should be able to get a few, will send you a PM.
Old 15th Sep 2006, 12:33 pm   #11
tubesrule
Hexode

Kat,
I've got 5 or 6 channel 3/4 System M modulators. These are new although it looks like I must have been doing just what you are attempting since the covers are off a couple of them. They are about 1" X 1" X 1/2". Your welcome to them, although I will be away from my email now until Sunday evening and would not be able to reply until then.

Darryl
Closed Thread