UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2017, 3:58 pm   #21
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: How to bias Philips EL 3536 valve tape amp?

For measurements where the circuit voltage is high then switch the probe to X10.

Lawrence.
Old 6th Mar 2017, 4:12 pm   #22
ricard
Octode

Normally you would do that anyway to get the probe compensation circuit switched in. And especially in that position, it's not a problem to measure a couple of hundred volts with an oscilloscope.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 11:37 am   #23
Clockwork_TV
Pentode

Hi All

I've attached result pics from my CRO.
I attached a 1kHz signal generator to the mic input, set it to PA and recorded the o/p across one speaker channel. Top is input bottom is output, (sine then square wave).

It was quite a quiet signal going in. So mainly seems to be high freq boost? Or bass cut? I think the peak seemed to increase when I turned up the input. Now this is the mic i/p which uses an extra bit of circuitry to the tape head. Also I realised afterwards the tone control was set to full treble - not sure if this does anything on PA (the volume knob doesn't do anything on PA - it's the mic i/p that adjusts volume).

Is there a better place to apply the signal eg on the tape head somewhere to get a better idea about playback? I wonder if should I record the signal on tape and play it back and test this.

Cheers John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170307_000834.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	138762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170307_000743.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	138763  
Old 7th Mar 2017, 6:54 pm   #24
Clockwork_TV
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
For measurements where the circuit voltage is high then switch the probe to X10.
OK good tip will try thanks
Closed Thread