UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2017, 12:29 am   #41
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Paranoid About My Radios

Biggest fire risk of late was, I am told, the plug in air fresheners.
Old 24th Feb 2017, 1:30 pm   #42
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I feel less confident leaving an old valve radio running than I do with one of my 40-50 year old TV's. Most valved radios do not have internal fuses and rely on the main plug 3A fuse blowing if anything goes wrong. Most TV's have an internal mains 1-1.5A fuse for a black and white TV, whilst my colour TV has a 2A mains fuse plus 500mA fuses on the HT and LT lines. As I have worked on these sets I have never seen one go up in flames, but just produce some smoke and strange smells when they go wrong. I never leave my old TV's running unattended for long. When they are not being used I always unplug them from the mains.
I feel more uneasy about the modern wall wart power supplies used for DAB radios phone chargers etc as some of these can get very warm to hot in use and even when nothing is connected to them.
Old 25th Feb 2017, 4:31 am   #43
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Simon, 1 and 2 A plug fuses are available, but also quite easy to fit an inline fuse holder in the set and in the mains lead.

Ed
Closed Thread