UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Nov 2017, 7:13 pm   #1
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Kenwood Chef food mixer safety observation

As title. Our mixer is a little over 40 years old. I think it is either an A701, or A701A. It is white and dark blue. Used possibly once a month these days. About 10 years ago, the capacitor burnt out, so I replaced just that part, all was fine. Switching on last week, the whole thing made a lot of noise and the speed knob was seen to be moving around violently. Machine was switched off immediately.
It was soon apparent the motor had come adrift from it's rubber mountings. Available on ebay, over £8 for the four. I was convinced I had something similar....somewhere. I even placed a "wanted" post!
Today, I found what it was I was thinking of. A set of strong, new, rubber mountings as used for domestic refrigeration sealed unit compressors. All I needed to do was reduce one side thickness slightly by cutting some rubber away with small sidecutters. Other than this, the dimensions were just right. I fitted them and ran the motor up and all was fine. Sorted!
However, the result of this new thread concerns electrical safety. The machine frame is all metal, but mains flex is 2 core, without earth. The electrical insulation safety integrity is provided by the rubber bushes insulating the motor electrically from the whole frame. My original bushes had perished and disintegrated, allowing the motor frame to move around within the non-existant insulation bush and most likely touch the metal fixing screw that was connected to external metalwork. Not a nice thought.
What I have done is to provide an earth wire from a 4BA solder tag, attached under a motor stator screw. This will connect with tyhe earth wire of a new 3 core mains lead that I will fit. Unfortunately the mains terminal board on the mixer is only 2 screws, L & N. So, I will connect the new 2 earth wires together using a butt crimp terminal.
This will give me peace of mind, that the metal frame of the motor is earthed at all times.
No doubt, such a modification to enhance safety is a wrong act on my part, as it is a modification from original manufacture. However, at least I will feel safer!
Rob
Old 4th Nov 2017, 8:12 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Kenwood Chef food mixer safety observation

In technical terms what you have done is convert from the original "Class 0" to "Class 1"

By coincidence, I contributed to a discussion yesterday in a different place about the same thing with antique photographic equipment, and the consensus was it's a very Good Idea (tm).

When there is a conflict between electrical safety, particularly in the kitchen, and "originality" I know which one I regard as more important.
Old 5th Nov 2017, 10:16 pm   #3
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

OK Graham, I agree entirely.
Test run this morning, all fine. I got the hot, slight burning smell as sometimes witnessed by other repairers, especially after changing the wirewound resistor.
I didn't investigate further as I assumed it was grease and some dirt coating said resistor. After a few minutes running, the smell disappeared.
During my earthing process, I also linked an earth wire from the aforementioned motor stator chassis to the main frame as well. Under the screws of the hinge bracket. Just in case.....
Rob
Old 6th Nov 2017, 12:43 am   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

I will have to keep an eye on ours.
The old one has been fitted with an earthed power cable for screening due to it having a rev counter fitted.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 1:46 pm   #5
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

James May put one of these back together in an episode of The Reassembler made a year ago. It was very informative, but unfortunately I cannot find a link to the complete episode.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 7:52 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

I'm sure my mother's had a double insulated sign on it, certainly they were BEAB approved
Old 25th Feb 2018, 5:34 pm   #7
tigger449
Retired Dormant Member

I have one of these in the garage waiting for restoration - will have to consider the earthing!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x57eohj I think this should take you to the James May video.

Last edited by tigger449; 25th Feb 2018 at 5:46 pm. Reason: URL added
Old 9th Mar 2018, 10:03 pm   #8
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Thanks for finding the link to the video.
Closed Thread