UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Sep 2015, 6:37 pm   #1
quad2fan
Retired Dormant Member

Default Any Grundig TK20 servicing tips?

Hi folks.

A while back I purchased a near mint Grundig TK20, to satisfy a nostalgic urge I had to revisit the first item of HiFi I ever owned as a kid. Inside the unit looks like new - very rare to see all the metalwork in one of these still shiny and not corroded (I have two other TK20s for spare parts in the loft for comparison, and they both look their age inside & outside).

All belts have been replaced, and it all works pretty well. However the left leaver can cause crackly sounds from the speaker and is rather stiff. I assume this can be cured with a can of Servisol switch cleaner?

I have very good/neat skills desoldering and soldering in new components, so wish to tackle replacing all the electrolytics & the dreaded Wima 'toffee' caps myself as a winter project. Assuming that all goes well, is there anything else that would need doing? I'm keeping the heads adjusted as they are, as the unit has obviously had very little use at all. Would anything need to be readjusted following a change of caps, or can I fit and forget? And are there any recommended cap brands/types to replace what's currently there? I wish to retain the sound & performance of the original unit as far as is possible.

Lastly, what would you recommend for relubing the main flywheel spindle, and the reel motors?

Many thanks,

John.
Old 3rd Sep 2015, 8:05 pm   #2
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Any Grundig TK20 servicing tips?

John,
Replace as you mention , all the caps (a couple are rather difficult to access) you can ,any good brand, especially the one inside the osc. can, perhaps the resistor also, this can burn out. Check the obvious, voltage, smoothing caps. etc. There are few adjustments required, apart from bias if required for the tape you use. There is also from memory a 10K? cement coated resistor that may require replacement . There is only a capstan motor , Papst, usually very reliable.

Ask later when you have carried out the normal service as mentioned, no point in anticipating problems before you have carried out the basics.

Cheers.

Colin.
Old 4th Sep 2015, 11:59 am   #3
quad2fan
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for your help Colin. Much appreciated.
Yes there's a wirewound 11K 6w resistor (R43) - I'll check that. I have a couple of original schematics that came with the manuals, an original and a revised issue. Will scan those in and post here on the off chance anyone else finds them useful. There's four capacitors in the ocsillator box too looking at the circuit. Will check them all.

Cheers,

John
Old 4th Sep 2015, 4:11 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

One post deleted. Please respect Forum rule B12.
Old 4th Sep 2015, 4:36 pm   #5
quad2fan
Retired Dormant Member

Would you mind telling me what that is, and where I might find it please? Thank you...
Old 4th Sep 2015, 4:42 pm   #6
quad2fan
Retired Dormant Member

Ignore. A Google search did the trick. A pity as my scanned versions were far higher quality that those on that other site. But never mind.
Old 4th Sep 2015, 5:54 pm   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

Rule B12 is basically the equivalent of "Don't be bringing your own beer to the pub".
Old 4th Sep 2015, 6:18 pm   #8
quad2fan
Retired Dormant Member

Hmmmm. Well with all due respect, I think I'll use another forum that isn't so uptight about its members posting good quality scans of circuit diagrams purely to help others. Or assumes user familiarity with a somewhat lengthy list of do's & don'ts numbered like some government department document.

Thanks for your helpful comments Colin.

Cheers.
Old 4th Sep 2015, 7:44 pm   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

B12 is straight forward in so much as if Paul has it as a download then it supports the forum.

I have many trader sheets but still found it very worth while to buy the dvd for ease of finding things.

Hope this helps.
Old 4th Sep 2015, 7:55 pm   #10
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry Quad , I didn't know about your deleted post . Confess I have also made a boob or two in my time on the forum not being familiar with all the rules. All the best with the TK 20

Colin.
Old 4th Sep 2015, 9:01 pm   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

The Forum rules were pointed out to you upon joining. We all, including you, agreed to them as part of that process. If you need refreshing, there is a handy link at the top of each page. As Julie & Hamish point out, the Forum is supported this way.
You are perfectly at liberty to seek help elsewhere, please let us know if you wish to stop contributing.
Old 5th Sep 2015, 9:01 am   #12
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

To the mod AC/HL,
Might I ask if your post 11 is adressed to me or .........?

Colin.
Old 5th Sep 2015, 9:52 am   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

No Colin, I think it was meant for John.

John, do keep posting, and don't take the strictish rule-enforcement we have here as a personal insult. As Bill's said, it applies to everyone

Nick.
Old 5th Sep 2015, 12:10 pm   #14
AC/HL
Dekatron

Hi Colin,
Not at all, your post was made before before the problem arose, so you couldn't have known. As far as "boobs" are concerned, I too have transgressed in the past, we live and learn!
Old 5th Sep 2015, 5:58 pm   #15
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks Bill,
Hope you & yours are keeping well.

Cheers.

Colin.
Old 8th Sep 2015, 10:54 am   #16
quad2fan
Retired Dormant Member

Yes please close/delete/whatever my account Bill. Any forum that has a lengthy list of rules & regs to wade through, and you're meant to remember all of them, & is policed so zealously isn't the kind of place I really find enjoyable to use.
Thanks to all those who were of help over the years.
J
Old 8th Sep 2015, 11:58 am   #17
Station X

I'll close your account as requested.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread