UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2017, 10:35 am   #21
Peter.G0DRT
Pentode

Default Re: What can't you throw away?

I have a lot of components which I acquired in the 60's. I also have a large collection of records. Most of the space in my shack, however, is taken by military radios. I have no plans to dispose of any of this, so when I have gone the family will have a job on their hands. I only hope it doesn't end up at the local tip.

Regards, Peter.
Old 7th Sep 2017, 3:14 pm   #22
m0cemdave
Octode

Another vote for those everlasting Henry's boxes. I have a few in use for component storage, originally posted to me in 1970 or thereabouts.
Old 7th Sep 2017, 4:20 pm   #23
Maarten
Dekatron

I won't throw away my Philips library and collection (started out with TV sets of all brands, which I'll keep, but I now concentrate more on anything directly, remotely or vaguely Philips related), but I'll probably (hopefully) cut my storage needs in half in the next few years by doing away with a lot of 1950's / 1960's B&W TV's that aren't in the best shape by either parting them out or selling them for parts or restauration.
Old 7th Sep 2017, 8:11 pm   #24
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Maarten, I second your comments on the Philips tech library and excellent series of books (you don't have a spare "Robot Circuits" by Bruinsma at a good price?).

Mullard also issued application journals and Tech notes (Technical Communications I think it was called). Was there an equivalent series from Philips?

Ed
Old 7th Sep 2017, 8:32 pm   #25
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I never throw anything away that may come in useful. As a result I have a mountain of tat but do genuinely draw on my "stock" quite often when building projects. I think this sort of thing goes with the hobby. I also have a good stock of engine/mechanical parts to support my other past-time. I have cherished items from early days that would definitely never get thrown out, including my first electronics kit, multimeter, and various ancient projects built when I was about ten. Also, my first transistor radio, an ITT/KB Junior II, received as a Christmas present, and I wish I had kept hold of my Sister's Panasonic Pet, the round one. For some bizarre reason I still have the box. Regarding doing private jobs at work, I have found that most managers tend to turn a blind eye to it, especially when they want to ask you to fix their telly. I think it was the chance to use all that expensive calibrated test gear that was the main draw for me doing after hours and lunchtime jobs. Everywhere I have worked hasn't cared about it, even when the occasional component was borrowed from stores. I suppose it is better to see keen staff rather than those who can't wait to get out the door at 5 o'clock.
Alan.
Old 7th Sep 2017, 10:26 pm   #26
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I probably keep far too much (it took 5 large lorries to move house...) but anyway things I don't throw away include :

(Obviously) those things that I actively collect. Vintage computers (I have my first computer (MK14) and first BASIC computer (TRS-80 Model 1)), tape recorders, etc And tools and test gear.

Books, several thousand manuals, books (mostly electronics and radio) etc.

Electronic educational kits. I still have my Philips EE, ME and CL kits. Braun Lectron. Denshi-Block, etc.
Old 8th Sep 2017, 1:11 pm   #27
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Re. using work facilities for doing non-work-related 'foreigners', I have memories of my boss asking me to blow some EPROMS for him using the lab programmer; this I did, and next week he brought in the first completed Teletext-decoder kit I'd ever seen in action.

Later on, in the same job I needed an upgrade for the EPROM-programmer so *I* could program some obscure divider-chips for a PMR radio I was converting to the amateur-bands. Said boss was quite happy to pay for it once I explained what I needed it for.

As to what I can't bring myself to throw away: well, I have so many Pye Westminsters [High-band, Low-band, UHF, AM, FM, dash, boot-mount - if Pye made it I've probably got one] in the loft that I wonder they may 'go critical' someday!
Old 9th Sep 2017, 5:26 pm   #28
sp10mk11
Octode

Unfortunately everything I have collected over the last 43 odd years it breaks me apart to think of losing items, if I have I have replaced them I have an attachment to all of them. I know I should get rid of gear but I cannot.
The old sod in Cornwall
Old 11th Sep 2017, 7:38 pm   #29
GW4FRX
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmw0sec View Post
"Absolutely. At Racal they were known as "Home Office" jobs or "homers". Quite apt in its way."
Interesting - in the UKAEA they were also known as 'homers' and their production was benevolently tolerated.
As indeed they were in the test room at BBC Bush House and at TSA at Caversham. Happy days (sigh).
Old 11th Sep 2017, 8:20 pm   #30
Bob_Moss
Pentode

13A plugs and fuses. I just can't throw these away.
Back in the day, one used to have a limited number of 13A plugs, to be swapped between equipment as necessary.
Now everything comes fitted with a plug and when something gets scrapped (modern toaster, kettle, etc.) I HAVE to take the plug off before I get rid.
Now all my mains radios have plugs (with the appropriate fuse value fitted), and I have a drawer of 13A plugs and loads of 13A fuses.
Old 11th Sep 2017, 8:26 pm   #31
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Hi Maarten, I second your comments on the Philips tech library and excellent series of books (you don't have a spare "Robot Circuits" by Bruinsma at a good price?).
Mullard also issued application journals and Tech notes (Technical Communications I think it was called). Was there an equivalent series from Philips?
Hi Ed,

Unfortunately I don't even have one for myself, but things have a way of finding me, it just takes some time.

Philips had several information bulletins themselves as well, I'm sure one of those would have been equivalent to the Mullard series.
Old 12th Sep 2017, 12:46 pm   #32
Philco-Pete
Tetrode

....As indeed they were in the test room at BBC Bush House and at TSA at Caversham. Happy days (sigh)

Many of us in the BBC's junior division ( ie that new-fangled television stuff) tended to call them Foreigners rather than Homers. It was only when speaking to a pal at Bush House that I heard that they referred to them as Homers - "Are you still working on your Foreigner" could have very different connotations within the hallowed halls of the World Service
As you say, Happy Days....
Old 12th Sep 2017, 4:41 pm   #33
kellys_eye
Octode

Circuit boards - just circuit boards. Friends and family all know that to dispose of anything electronic it MUST come via me for appraisal for re-use, up-cycling or dismantling for 'spares'. The old "it'll come in useful someday" phrase is oft bandied about but seldom referred to in practical examples!

It wouldn't be so bad if I actually stripped the boards...... instead they pile up, and up, and up and...........

Then there's all the screws, nuts, bolts, self tappers that comprised the old housings. Basically I'm one of those sad old hoarders - and I love it!
Old 12th Sep 2017, 5:11 pm   #34
bobsterkent
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmw0sec View Post
Absolutely. At Racal they were known as "Home Office" jobs or "homers". Quite apt in its way.
I was introduced to the practice as 'Radio 4' or 'the Home service'
Old 12th Sep 2017, 5:39 pm   #35
emeritus
Dekatron

My Amstrad PCW8256. Now consigned to the (insulated, and heated in winter) shed.
Old 12th Sep 2017, 9:42 pm   #36
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

I still have at least one Henry's Radio postal box. I think I also have a parcel from RSC in Leeds which contained the transformers (mains, choke, OPT) for a valve receiver which never quite got built. Another box contains the set of Denco superhet coils for it (possibly a Home Radio of Mitcham box?).

Somewhere I have an Interfaker, for monitoring and patching RS-232 connections. My wife cannot understand why I have kept every copy of RadCom since I joined RSGB nearly 50 years ago.
Old 12th Sep 2017, 9:59 pm   #37
McMurdo
Dekatron

I can't throw anything away other than junk mail and kitchen waste in case one day it might come in useful. My father's the same, though he even keeps cornflake packets in case 'he needs to light a big fire sometime'.
I have boxes of valves that are 'down to air' or low emission in case I find I need an octal base or top cap.

Must be the result of a deprived childhood!
Old 13th Sep 2017, 2:15 am   #38
suebutcher
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellys_eye View Post
Then there's all the screws, nuts, bolts, self tappers that comprised the old housings. Basically I'm one of those sad old hoarders - and I love it!
Fixings are really useful to keep, as long as they're in some kind of order. Lost a tiny screw in the carpet? No problem, get another from the junk box.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 8:02 am   #39
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrun_uk View Post
I've lost count how many times after a clearout I've needed something that was disposed of literally days or weeks later.
It happens to me as well. You need everything. However you've forgotten that you have most of the things. Throwing something away reminds you that you had it and then you very soon realise you could have used it if you hadn't thrown it away.

"What can't you throw away?" Anything that you've looked at to decide whether to throw it away or not. If you really need to get rid of surplus junk you need someone else to do it for you and not tell you what they got rid of.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 13th Sep 2017, 6:23 pm   #40
stevehertz
Dekatron

I think a lot of us are in the same boat . The problem with being a natural born hoarder is that you amass so much stuff that even though you know you have that widget somewhere, you can't find it amongst the mass of junk! Which rather begs the question, what is the point of having a house and workshop full of spares (junk) if when you want something, you can't find it?!

Hmm. My current answer , and one that I'm presently addressing, is to create better, more orderly, annotated storage systems. So that's shelving, draws and smaller component boxes of the wall mounted kind. I think I might just be finished creating my 'perfect storage system' by the time my brain cells start to pack up and everything needs to be got rid of..