UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2017, 11:57 pm   #1
boombox
Pentode

Default Instead of using an RJ11 adaptor with (for example) a PAP2T

Is it possible to wire the PAP2T up to master sockets? I have about four lying about whereas I don't have any RJ11 adaptors with ringing capacitors.
Would I then be able to continue to use the normal BT plugs connected to my telephones?

Thanks
Old 8th Aug 2017, 1:22 am   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Instead of using an RJ11 adaptor with (for example) a PAP2T

Quote:
Is it possible to wire the PAP2T up to master sockets?
Yes of course, just wire the middle pair of the RJ11 to pins 2&5 of the master socket.
If you are going to have more than one socket on each port you could wire several masters in parallel with just 2>2 and 5>5 but a better way would be to have just a single master per port and any additional extensions wired to the master with three wires 2>2 5>5 and 3>3. just make sure that 2&5 are a mutually twisted pair and the 3s are wired with a wire from another pair.

The PAP2 supplies much less ringing power than a typical exchange line so with
multiple electromechanical bells you need to optimise things when you can.

Graham.
G3ZVT
Old 8th Aug 2017, 1:24 am   #3
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

You'd need a wire with an RJ11 on one end to connect to terminals 2 and 5 in the Master Socket and then, yes you can plug your telephones in as normal.

You only need one Master Socket with a capacitor per ATA port. If you don't have and proper Secondaries it's easy to snip the cap and other extra bits out of Masters.

Only terminals 2, 3 and 5 are used between the Master and Secondaries; there's no need to connect 1, 4 and 6. As you'll odd-on be using four-core cable though it's usual to wire-up terminal 4.

I did something similar: I ran a wire from my PAP2 to a Bell 1A, to which I'd fitted at 1.8µF capacitor, and then connected the sockets to that.
Old 8th Aug 2017, 1:27 am   #4
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Cross posted with Rambo.

Interesting point about the power of the PAP2 as the manual says each port has a maximum REN of 5, which is one more than a GPO line. I've never approached the limit personally so can't comment on the reality.
Old 8th Aug 2017, 2:37 pm   #5
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Is that a UK REN though or a USA REN? They may be different. Some websites suggest a REN of 3; apparently there are two versions.
Old 8th Aug 2017, 3:43 pm   #6
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

That could be it.

The Specifications section of the PAP2NA User Guide (which is what mine is) simply says: Maximum Ringer Load 5 REN.

The Administrators Guide doesn't say anything about it at all. It does however have a reference to FXS Port Power Limit but does say any more as to what it is. I have tried Googling it in the past but only found other people asking the same and no definitive answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	72
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	147533  
Old 8th Aug 2017, 4:33 pm   #7
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I've always taken the concept of REN with a pinch of salt, (or should that be SALT!)
REN=4 was always a bit conservative, especially since the move from electromechanical bells to electronic ringers, and modern mains powered devices like DECT base stations probably just take a high impedance sniff of the ringing waveform to indicate an incoming call.

I didn't know other countries used the REN acronym, I thought it was peculiarly British.

Graham.
G3ZVT
Old 8th Aug 2017, 5:27 pm   #8
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I thought I'd better start a separate thread as we're standing into Off Topic waters: http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...d.php?t=138831
Closed Thread