UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Dec 2005, 3:25 pm   #1
Eunridge
Retired Dormant Member

Default Beogram 1200

Hello to you all.
This is my first venture onto this site, so I hope I don't mess up..
My name is Syd, and I have a query on a record deck which I would like to get operational.
It is a Bang and Olufsen Beogram 1200 Series 14 Type 5214.
The deck is in very good condition, but it is missing a small pc board which plugs into the underside of the deck.
there is a leaflet appertaining to this board with the deck which is marked Beogram Type 5213 - 14-16 -17 has anyone any information on this problem ..thanks for looking
Cheers Syd.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 6th Dec 2005 at 7:37 pm. Reason: Set text to the default size
Old 6th Dec 2005, 7:58 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Beogram 1200

Hi Syd and welcome.

If it's the deck I'm thinking of, the PCB is a preamplifier, which steps-up the miniscule output from the magnetc cartridge to a suitable level for feeding into the "aux" input of any hifi amp.

But this was an optional extra and many decks weren't fitted with them, the output from the cartridge going straight to the amplifier's magnetic cartridge input instead. It would only have been necessary to buy one if your amp did not have one built-in.

Hope that helps,
Nick.
Old 6th Dec 2005, 8:14 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Further to my last post, I was thinking of the older 1000. Maybe yours is the same though

Could you post a scan of the leaflet that you mentioned?

Some nice pics and info here: http://www.beoworld.co.uk/

Nick
Old 7th Dec 2005, 7:17 pm   #4
Eunridge
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Nick.
Many thanks for your prompt reply to my post re Beogram 1200.
I did plug the deck in but the table did not rotate, I did not persue this any further at the time because I thought I would wait to see if the PC had any bearing on this but I do not think it has so I shall investigate further.

Thanks again
Cheerio.
Syd.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 16th Jun 2007 at 2:38 pm. Reason: General tidying.
Old 8th Dec 2005, 9:21 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Syd's just e-mailed me a scan of the circuit diagram, that B&O always used to tuck into their products.

The motor is driven straight from the mains, so it wasn't a motor-control board.

The PCB is indeed a pre-amplifier, a simple affair with 2 BC109s in each channel. This plugs into the edge connector that Syd noted, and is presumably replaced with a shorting link in the standard models that lacked a pre-amp.

Nick.
Old 9th Dec 2005, 7:55 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Syd,

If the motor's not running, check the continuity of the motor circuit using a multimeter set to the resistance range if you have one.

I've traced out the circuit, and worked out the colours of the wires using a Danish dictionary.

The circuit runs as follows:

Mains input terminal --> blue wire to first motor winding --> black wire from first motor winding --> switch --> brown wire to T3 on voltage selector --> T2 on voltage selector --> yellow wire to second motor winding --> red wire from second motor winding --> T5 on voltage selector --> T4 on voltage selector --> red wire to other mains input terminal.

The blue and brown wires from the motor are an extra winding which provides power for the pre-amplifier, where fitted.

Hope this helps,

Nick.
Old 13th Dec 2005, 2:34 pm   #7
Eunridge
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Nick.
Sorry about the delay in replying to your last post, I am pleased to report that the deck is now working. there was no definite fault with it but I think just lack of use. I checked the connections with my AVO and got 15volts ac at the preamp terminals which is correct ,then I checked the voltage selector switch wiring,,, again all correct. There is a single pole switch operated by a cam under the table[ on/off] I opened this with an insulated prod and got sparks showing that there was juice going to the motor,then I noticed that the motor was inching and after a moment or two it started revolving.

Many thanks again for your help.
Cheers Syd.
Old 13th Dec 2005, 8:31 pm   #8
roffe
Hexode

Hello all
I think this is the one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B&O preamp.png
Views:	346
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	2264  
Old 13th Dec 2005, 8:36 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunridge
there was no definite fault with it but I think just lack of use.
Glad it worked out well.

I think your diagnosis is right. It may have been tarnished switch contacts, or possibly lack of lubrication in the motor or other drive components (might be worth a quick look).

Be very careful of the stylus on these - I suspect they're staggeringly expensive nowadays, even for a pattern part (if available). And I don't think you can fit a standard cartridge either

Quote:
Originally Posted by roffe
Hello all
I think this is the one.
Yes, the very one

Nick.
Closed Thread