UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Apr 2014, 1:00 am   #1
suebutcher
Heptode

Default Philips 202 turntable parts

Currently I'm using a Philips GA 202 Electronic as my main turntable, and I'd like to stock up on spares for it. These seem to be in short supply. Are any of the important bits like the motor interchangable with the GA 212? Or the plug-in headshell?
Old 19th Apr 2014, 8:26 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 202 turntable parts

Headshell - yes, AFAIK.

Not sure about the motor but it may well be. I can find out the 212/312 part number if you want to compare.

Superb sounding machines!
Old 19th Apr 2014, 11:25 am   #3
suebutcher
Heptode

Please do, Nick. I'll compare the numbers. I used to have a Thorens, but I needed a high quality machine that could play 33s, 45s and 78s. The only bad thing about the 202 is the lid support that keeps breaking because you have to push it back before attempting to close the top. Mine's been broken three times now! I suppose if I can't find spares, I'll buy a Lenco L75 as a standby in case the 202 dies. Plenty of spares for those.
Old 8th May 2014, 6:15 am   #4
suebutcher
Heptode

Problem solved, I've found another parts GA 202 on Ebay. This one has a problem with the stop-start buttons. In this case it won't stop. If it's like my original, one of the transistors in the control circuit will have developed an internal whisker causing a short to ground via the heatsink. The fix is easy; mount the control board on nylon screws and washers.
Old 8th May 2014, 11:24 am   #5
unitaudio
Heptode

That's a nice bit of lateral thinking! And no need to break out the soldering iron. Live and learn, eh?

Regards,
Paul
Old 10th May 2014, 8:40 pm   #6
D_S_J_R
Heptode

I remember the 212 with great fondness, despite the usual 'Philips' way of construction - take a great design and make it with the most rubbish bits possible to save some money. I remember seeing the plinth 'held together' with sticky tape (from memory) and the tonearm 'bearings' were worse than a cheap Garrard or BSR, yet this deck worked so well and sounded fantastic with the right cartridge fitted..

Different subject, but Philips did the same with a VHS mechanism or two many years later - the 'Charlie' one being a classic, horrible thing to operate and listen to loading/unloading, but with a good picture and sound nonetheless!

Dave
Old 10th May 2014, 11:00 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Agree with you on the 212/312. Super design, flimsy construction. But they work superbly and never go wrong, so hats off to Philips.
Old 27th May 2014, 3:39 am   #8
suebutcher
Heptode

The construction of the GA 202 could be a bit stronger, too. But it's very pretty! Most manufacturers would give you painted chipboard and exposed screw heads at the back of the plinth, but being Philips it's brushed aluminium and veneered wood all round, with very neat looking hinges for the cover.
Closed Thread