UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2017, 8:26 am   #1
London John
Tetrode

Default Mullard vs Bianchi capacitors

I've found conflicting information about whether Mullard "mustard" capacitors and Bianchi capacitors are one and the same, save for branding. I doubt it really matters in the long run, but it's interesting, at least to me.

I have a friend who's owned an electronics shop for 50 years or so, and he swears the C296 Mullard caps are different.

Can anybody provide any definitive information?

Many thanks,
John
Old 13th Aug 2017, 12:18 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Mullard vs Bianchi capacitors

Hi John

This is what the Radiomuseum has to say on the subject

http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_herst...mpany_id=17611

Look like they built Philips 311 series caps known as mustards and as Mullard was a part of Philips

Cheers

Mike T
Old 13th Aug 2017, 5:40 pm   #3
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

You learn something every day. So Bianchi, like Ducati before them made capacitors as well as very good motorcycles.
Les.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 8:20 pm   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

So now the price of Bianchi capacitors will rise astronomically in the vintage amps market where mustard caps are considered the holy grail of 'tone'.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 8:59 pm   #5
deliverance
Heptode

Ain't that the truth.
Old 14th Aug 2017, 12:20 am   #6
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorBikeLes View Post
You learn something every day. So Bianchi, like Ducati before them made capacitors as well as very good motorcycles.
Bianchi cars and motorcycles came from Italy, Bianchi capacitors from Spain. Not the same Bianchi. Even the Spanish resistor manufacturer Bianchi & Ibarrondo is not the same company.

I wrote part of the above linked text on Bianchi on radiomuseum.org for much the same reason as the topic starter: after I spotted some Bianchi mustard capacitors and having done some online research. They are basically identical to mustard capacitors (C296 / 2222 311), they were even sold under the same type designations and it was likely they were at the very least produced under Philips license since Bianchi carried some other Philips series capacitors as well. Bianchi may have even been acquired by Philips at some point in time but I haven't found out any details on that yet.
Closed Thread