UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2017, 7:10 pm   #1
AndyGilham
Pentode

Default Megger / Avo history

Good day my friends
I have posted on this forum on a few occasions, but to reintroduce myself. My name is Andy Gilham, and I am a member of the mechanical design team at Megger instruments ltd in dover, Kent. I have worked for the company for 23 years now.
As most of you will know, our company is an amalgamation of Avo instruments ltd, Evershed & Vignoles ltd, fosters transformers and H.W Sullivan's.... Plus a few others.
Last year the company celebrated 50 years at the Dover site, and to celebrate we held an open day, including factory tour, 3D cad demo, 3D printer demo, test set up examples and a historical display of products. I was responsible for creating the display, and got hooked on the companies history. I wrote a short booklet that we gave out on the day, that was very popular, and MD has suggested adding history to it.

So, at present I am writing both Avo and Evershed history. My current Evershed documents sits in region of 14,000 words (there is a lot of history).
We are also planning to open up a museum on site to display products, photos and documents.

It would be fantastic if any former E&V or Avo employees with site or staff photo I may use, or maybe documents I could scan, or even interesting stories to be told would be amazing. I just want to collect all the data I possibly can related to the 2 companies.
As our instrument collection is also building up, any further product addition for those looking to move their products on would be appreciated.

I appreciate all this group does and enthusiasm seems to be in abundance here. I look forward to hearing from people.

By the way, a follow up to my previous post, the 28,000 microfilms are currently being scanned. These date back to ACWEECO 1930's drawing s and also a series of 1915/1930 Evershed drawings. Should make for an interesting view!!

Regards
Andy Gilham BSc Hon
Old 14th Aug 2017, 8:18 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Megger / Avo history

Hello again Andy, i think the documents you are scanning will be of great interest.

My oldest meter dates from 1938 and the newest from about 1967, it is often the case that a brittle and mouldy leather case contains crumbly test leads yet the meter therein is capable of further use with very little persuasion. The 1938 meter mentioned was placed in such high esteem by it's owner that the box hinge and catch is 'micro-engraved' with his name in two places, with the meter itself engraved in 4 places. Until inspected under magnification it is barely visible. If more people appreciated such things these days there would be less tendency for them to be drilled and sold as retro industrial look lamp-stands &c.!
Old 14th Aug 2017, 9:11 pm   #3
AndyGilham
Pentode

The Philpott : The amount of data the company holds in incredible, and exciting for me. I found the project and note files for the Avo Braille meter, hand drawn sketches of various avometer schematics. Calculation notes by engineers on hardware design, and original product photography. It's a treasure trove!

Regarding instruments, I have an Avometer (model 1) from 1926, lots of other Avo models, as well Avo minors, up to the newer ea117 products.
And Eversheds, I have the 1900 pattern ohmmeter and generator (2 sets) and a nice 1903 pattern 'Megger' . I have hav various ductors, series 2, 3 and 4insulation tester. But I want to grow that collection.
Really want the 1895 pattern ohmmeter and generator.
Old 15th Aug 2017, 1:14 am   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

I have got a wooden cased Megger that I still use with a little power converter.
It is an early bench type without a generator and if you are setting up a virtual tour you are welcome to a few photos.
Old 15th Aug 2017, 9:20 am   #5
AndyGilham
Pentode

Refugee: I would certainly be interested in seeing your instrument pictures. Are you able to date it from the scale plate or serial number?
Old 15th Aug 2017, 1:28 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

In case you haven't seen them, I posted scans of the Evershed's Meggers that are shown in GEC catalogues of 1893 and 1911 on this closed thread:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=135757

I only posted the one page from the 1911 catalogue that was relevant to the thread; let me know if you would like the rest.
Old 15th Aug 2017, 2:25 pm   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

I already have photos on my computer and have some slightly sharper than we are allowed here on Gonborne.
Obviously I can post full resolution to an email if you would like to post me the address.
Have a look ans understand that opening it makes me keep on sniffing so much that it is difficult to take photos. Ooo the aroma of vintage instruments
http://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/fo...ghlight=megger
Old 15th Aug 2017, 3:24 pm   #8
AndyGilham
Pentode

Emeritus: I did see the scans yes, interesting view of the 1895 pattern.
Yes I would certainly be interested in the 1911 booklet. You can always email me it if preferred. (Andyrivets@gmail.com)

Refugee: Yes I have seen those photos previously, from a link within the group. Be nice to see higher resolution copies, Yes please my email is as above.

Andy
Old 16th Aug 2017, 3:31 am   #9
Refugee
Dekatron

I have quite a few photos perhaps 10MB or so. There is a 1943 date on the frame of the movement and nothing but a serial number on the dial. It does match the one on the movement so the dial and meter movement are an original pair.
Do you also want the photos of the generator I made up for it?
Old 18th Aug 2017, 12:02 am   #10
AndyGilham
Pentode

Refugee: sorry for the delay replying. Yes please, any instrument photograph's ar fascinating to me. So please send them over!
Old 18th Aug 2017, 1:34 am   #11
Refugee
Dekatron

I will sort out all the files over the weekend and get them over to you over the weekend.
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 7:06 pm   #12
AndyGilham
Pentode

Thank you, I appreciate it greatly.

Been looking through some filing cabinets at work and found a lot of project folders from E&V dating back to mid 1940's to early 50's. A few correspondence are related to Dr Tagg a senior member of the E&V design team, who had a number of patents to his name. Looking forward to having a good read through it. ����
Closed Thread