UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2017, 12:21 pm   #1
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Telephone No. 232

I have just acquired my first 200 series, it's in a slightly sorry state, but not too bad, I'll post some pictures later. first a question, how do I remove the governor weight/worm shaft? I've removed the obvious screw but it wont clear the cup.
Do I need to attack it from the front? If so, how do I remove the number ring?

Graham.
G3ZVT

<EDIT>
Belay all that, I've found the big circlip holding the number ring and now it's all obvious.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 6th Aug 2017 at 12:36 pm. Reason: Lightbulb moment!
Old 6th Aug 2017, 1:30 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Telephone No. 232

Quote:
how do I remove the number ring?
I'm glad you've got it figured out, if you'll excuse the pun, and I look forward to progress reports.
Old 6th Aug 2017, 3:33 pm   #3
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
I'm glad you've got it figured out, if you'll excuse the pun
all-figured out?
Old 6th Aug 2017, 7:09 pm   #4
Pellseinydd
Heptode

You'll find plenty of info on GPO dials and their adjustment/maintenance on Bob Freshwater's 'British Telephones' at http://www.britishtelephones.com/dials/dialrep.html and http://www.britishtelephones.com/dial1.htm - a mine of info about all things 'British telephones' can be found there.

Ian
Old 7th Aug 2017, 5:54 am   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Yes it was the exploded diagram on that second site that gave me the clue about the circlip.

The pictures will have to follow later, things were not straightforward. I managed to sort out the most serious fault with the aid of a blowtorch can anyone guess how?

I'm really pleased with the result.

I've still got a couple of questions, but they'll have to wait till later.

Graham.
G3ZVT
Old 7th Aug 2017, 10:16 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

See if you can spot the blowtorch in these
https://www.***********/gp/g3zvt/dUC3zd
Please note that I am not advocating that anyone should make this repair, it's potentially quite dangerous!

I am not sure if I broke the spring, yes I made the classic mistake of removing both the small screws in the boss to which the finger-plate is attached, I now know the correct way to release the spring tension!

I think only one turn of tension was (explosively) released when I removed the screws, which is consistent with the outside end of the spring already being detached, as friction holds it in place until you rotate the dial halfway.

Anyhow the dial is working fine now as is the rest of the phone.

Any comments?
I would particularly like some advice on how I could smarten up up number-ring, looks like the lady of the house had sharp nails, also, I know I could renew the platted cables, but is there any mileage in dyeing them somehow?

Graham.
G3ZVT
Old 7th Aug 2017, 10:30 pm   #7
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

The only thing I could suggest to smarten up the number ring, apart from fitting a repro, would be a water-slide transfer, about which there is plenty on the forum. I wouldn't like to speculate as to how well it would wear though.

You wouldn't have anything to loose by dying the cords but dye isn't cheap, unless you come up with a home-made concoction. I'd either leave them alone and get reproduction ones at some future point or make my own.

I like 232s. I've now got two and fear that they may prove to be the DAC90a of the telephone world.
Closed Thread