UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 5th Aug 2017, 11:24 am   #1
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Tool Tidy Idea.

My workshop doesn't have any spare wall space for a tool rack so the tools go in the tool box or are spread all over the bench.

This is my solution, an old dishwasher cutlery basket that can hold all my most used tools and occupies quite a small footprint on the bench.

You may not have an old cutlery basket of course, but you can buy new universal ones from about £5 or £6.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2676.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	147397   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2677.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	147398  
Old 5th Aug 2017, 11:58 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Tool Tidy Idea.

Good idea. I currently store frequently used small tools in a half pint beer mug, but that often runs out of space.
Old 5th Aug 2017, 12:07 pm   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Good idea! I have an oversized 'Sports Direct' mug that I keep my most frequently used tools in on my bench, although I'm a really untidy so and so, most of the tools just end up on the bench! Or on the floor after they rolled off the bench...

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 5th Aug 2017, 2:12 pm   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

Great idea!

I use a purpose made, moulded plastic, wall mounted shelf/holder for most of my tools, other stuff is hanging on hooks on the wall or in draws; my workbench was installed by a kitchen fitter and is basically a long kitchen worktop with eight draws below. The other day, instead of storing cable ties in various plastic bags, I removed them and put them upright into suitably sized jam jars and old vases. Dead easy to see and pick now. All of my various screws and bits and pieces are either in wall mounted containers or in Stanley compartmentalised boxes, the ones where the individual compartments can be lifted out, otherwise you struggle to get at small items.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-21 14.28.20.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	147403  
Old 5th Aug 2017, 3:38 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

I use a three tier A4 desk paper tidy, but it's not ideal for either visibility or entangling. Otherwise as per Lloyd!
Old 5th Aug 2017, 4:28 pm   #6
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I currently store frequently used small tools in a half pint beer mug....
Doesn't that spoil the taste of the beer?
Closed Thread