UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2017, 5:14 am   #41
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Build your own? A discussion.

Another company that used to expect their instruments to be repaired was HP (in the good old days...). I've got HP test gear with an extender board for all the plug-in PCBs stored inside, for example.

Now as to miniaturisation and neatness... There are times that miniaturisation matters for technical reasons (stray capacitance being the obvious example). And plenty of times when it doesn't. I don't care if my special-purpose meter, used in my workshop, is in a case the size of a Fluke 70 series or in a 3U rack box. The latter might be easier to use as the controls are likely to be more widely spaced. I don't even care for things I have to carry around. If I am carrying a reasonable toolkit, then whether the special test set is in a Fluke-sized case or a larger plastic box from RS doesn't make much difference to be honest. The idea that everything has to be as small as possible is in most cases simply 'fashion' which has no place in my workshop.

As for 'well machined', firstly some of us do have reasonable workshops and can turn out (pun totally intented!) spacers, knobs, brackets, milled rectangular holes in panels, etc. And secondly, again, does it matter? A display window that's not a perfect rectangle, or controls labelled with a 'Sharpie' will not affect the accuracy of the results.
Old 24th Jul 2017, 10:15 am   #42
MrBungle
Dekatron

A lot of the "minaturised" kit is actually easier to work on. The killer is poor designs, particularly as promoted by Tektronix. So you want to replace the HV module? See you at 3AM covered in blood and swearing. One of the nicest things I've ever worked on was a reasonably new digital HP 54601 scope. There was a burned tant on the main board. It was SMD, easy to get to and replace!

My own creations think about access first because I *know* I'm going to have to go in there and change something at some point.
Old 24th Jul 2017, 11:40 am   #43
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Build your own? A discussion.

Quote:
My own creations think about access first because I *know* I'm going to have to go in there and change something at some point.
Agreed: my sentiments exactly. And that's why when I have designed, built and tested something which I've made for myself, I always make sure I have produced accurate documentation.

Al.
Old 24th Jul 2017, 11:43 am   #44
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
The main reason to build anything now is because nobody else actually makes one.
Indeed: my opening post stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
In one of M.G. Scroggie's books - dating from the 1950's - he makes the observation that sometimes it is necessary for the hobbyist / experimenter to design and build his own item of test equipment when his need cannot be met from what is commercially available.
Al.

Last edited by Skywave; 24th Jul 2017 at 11:46 am. Reason: Add 2nd. quote
Old 27th Jul 2017, 10:00 pm   #45
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post

As for 'well machined', firstly some of us do have reasonable workshops and can turn out (pun totally intented!) spacers, knobs, brackets, milled rectangular holes in panels, etc. And secondly, again, does it matter? A display window that's not a perfect rectangle, or controls labelled with a 'Sharpie' will not affect the accuracy of the results.
I've told her that, but the XYL still won't let me put this thermostat in the hall.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...1&d=1501189044
Graham.
G3ZVT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7613.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	146917  
Old 27th Jul 2017, 10:41 pm   #46
Radio Wrangler

Ah, I understand.

It simply isn't a recognisable expensive enough brand.

David
Old 27th Jul 2017, 11:04 pm   #47
JohnBHanson
Heptode

You should have branded it with your name - then it can be shown off to all visitors with pride (hopefully)
Old 27th Jul 2017, 11:45 pm   #48
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I have a home made nixie tube clock in the living room which often provides interest to visitors as it is "unique". My wife tolerates it's presence but on occasion something gets placed in front of it, obscuring the display. Borderline. I don't think she appreciates odd home made electronic gadgets in the house. For some reason she doesn't mind an Airfix model of a Catalina flying boat on display that I made a while ago when I was off work. Odd. Very odd.
Alan.
Old 28th Jul 2017, 7:56 pm   #49
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Someone married to Biggles could hardly object to a flying boat! Do Ginger and Algy drop in for a drink from time to time?
Old 28th Jul 2017, 9:14 pm   #50
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I wish, Dave. I could have some interesting conversations with them! The name all stems from when I was in my teens and wore a genuine WWII flying jacket, which I still have incidentally. My Dad gave it to me when I started riding motorbikes. The nickname stuck. He was in the RAF for a while. Then I joined the Civil Aviation Authority. And that was that. I have a good photo with me wearing it. I have been tempted to use it as my avatar.
Alan.
Old 28th Jul 2017, 11:55 pm   #51
AC/HL
Dekatron

Give in! Which reminds me, you can't get wire coat hangers these days, plastic doesn't look right!
Old 29th Jul 2017, 6:43 am   #52
Radio Wrangler

Wire coat hangers aren't available because they're no longer needed - most cars now have radio aerials embedded in windows.

David