UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jul 2006, 8:42 pm   #1
Superhet Si
Pentode

Default How much for a Hacker Hunter ?

Bought a lot of old Hackers from ebay in the last few months but there is one Hunter doing the rounds again and again. It does look a great radio, with a home made power supply ,but there asking £50 as a starting bid
This is the third time there trying it
Is this OTT or is it me
Old 30th Jul 2006, 8:53 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: How much for a Hacker Hunter ?

Half the price of a new Roberts Revival hardly seems outrageous if it's a very good one, but then pricing is about supply and demand and Hunters aren't that hard to come by: perhaps the seller's just very patient. At least the poor thing doesn't get dragged off to a market every week

I suppose Hacker buyers do include quite a few collectors these days, who are likely to be willing to pay a premium for an unusual model (I've done it myself...) or a relatively common one in unusually fine condition. It's hard for instance to imagine that the price gap between the Sovereign III, often selling for £20 or less, and a good mains-battery Super Sovereign at £100-£150 is all down to people wanting the short wave facility which accounts for almost the whole of the operational difference between the sets.

Paul

Edit: Hmm, just noticed that this thread seems a tad misplaced. General Vintage Radio Etc.?

Last edited by Paul_RK; 30th Jul 2006 at 9:01 pm.
Old 30th Jul 2006, 8:59 pm   #3
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhet Si
Bought a lot of old Hackers from ebay in the last few months but there is one Hunter doing the rounds again and again. It does look a great radio, with a home made power supply ,but there asking £50 as a starting bid
This is the third time there trying it
Is this OTT or is it me
To be honest, I think it's a bit steep, I paid £10.50 for a working one in good condition apart from a broken top to the aerial :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=290002998579
Old 30th Jul 2006, 9:26 pm   #4
howard
Nonode

Hello,

£50 for a Hacker Hunter is too much, unless of course it is mint in its original packing .... unlikely. Prices for Hunters have dropped quite a lot in the past year. I have three of them, all excellent, and they cost me less than £30 the lot including postage, plus £5 for a scrap Autocrat as I needed a new handle for one of them.

If you see a nice one, complete and in good working order , bid up to £25 for it....

Howard
Old 30th Jul 2006, 9:32 pm   #5
Superhet Si
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard
Hello,

£50 for a Hacker Hunter is too much, unless of course it is mint in its original packing .... unlikely. Prices for Hunters have dropped quite a lot in the past year. I have three of them, all excellent, and they cost me less than £30 the lot including postage, plus £5 for a scrap Autocrat as I needed a new handle for one of them.

If you see a nice one, complete and in good working order , bid up to £25 for it....

Howard
I'm with you Howard on this one except reserve is set at £50