UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Aug 2016, 7:00 pm   #1
Linnovice
Hexode

Default Dim display

I'm not sure if this eligible for this forum but I've just bought a Tascam DA-20 MkII DAT machine. It's my first venture into this medium and I'm quite impressed with the quality of the sound. My only problem is with the display. It's very dim, almost invisible from a couple of feet away. Is there any way that it can be increased. There are no controls on the facia (that I can see) so I'm wondering if there is an adjustment pot inside.
Mike
Old 24th Aug 2016, 7:28 pm   #2
peterpiper
Tetrode

Default Re: Dim display

Hi Mike, from looking at pictures of the DA20 the display is vacuum fluorescent display, VFD. they work by having a heated filament and the display characters are fed by about 100v DC. If cleaning the front face of the display (carefully) doesn't help, you could try increasing the supply to the filament slightly. I did this recently to a Quad 44 tuner that had been sitting in a BBC rack all its life and was getting a bit dull. Very effective and OK after a year. I don't know how Tascam feeds the filament, if its DC it should be easy to increase it. Some makers use AC from a low voltage winding on the tranny making it harder to modify. All is not lost, you could modify the feed to DC taken from another supply line.

Peter
Old 24th Aug 2016, 8:18 pm   #3
vidjoman
Dekatron

I've come across several VFD displays in low voltage equipment (video recorders for example) where the high voltage is derived from a small oscillator and capacitors are usually the problem. I suspect increasing the heater voltage is a bodge rather than proper fault finding repair and may well lead to premature failure of the display.
Old 24th Aug 2016, 8:24 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
I've come across several VFD displays in low voltage equipment (video recorders for example) where the high voltage is derived from a small oscillator and capacitors are usually the problem.
Yes...agree with this. Very common in the days of VFD's and video recorders. Some manufacturers provided a small 'kit' consisting of several electrolytics and possibly even a couple of resistors to facilitate repair of the oscillator/voltage doubler...or whatever else was used to provide the HT supply.

I seem to recall that Akai were particularly prone but after a couple of cap changes, the display was good as new.
Old 25th Aug 2016, 9:22 am   #5
Michael Maurice

I agree with Sideband and Vidjoman, make sure you use good quality low ESR capacitors rated at 105 degrees.

I get my capacitors from RS and usually get Nichicons or Panasoniics

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 25th Aug 2016, 9:28 pm   #6
Linnovice
Hexode

Ok guys, thanks for the suggestions. I will have a look inside and try to fathom out which caps need changing. I've had a look at the SM on line but it's a bad copy and slightly distorted.
I too get my caps from RS and a very good service they offer. I'm in the process of totally recapping a Revox B77 MkII HS. A good learning curve. Perhaps the Tascam won't present too much of a challenge . . . hopefully.