UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2010, 3:52 pm   #1
Joey0027
Triode

Default Kolster Brandes Record Player

Good afternoon

Further to my post within the wanted section for a 60's record player, I have been offered a 1961 KB Rhythm in what is described as being in mint condition.

Is anybody on the forum able to offer any information on this brand/model as I'm a complete novice!

Many thanks in advance.
Old 20th Apr 2010, 4:55 pm   #2
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: Kolster Brandes Record Player

KB weren't famous for their record players, but their radio sets were OK (I like 'em!!) so I have no reason to suppose their Grams would be any different. Most seem to be transistor, but there were a few valve ones. You may get a clue as to age etc. from the service info here:

http://www.service-data.com/section.php/128/1

Your model isn't actually mentioned but it may have a nome de plume-merely a model number.

(£1.99-it helps to run this forum)
Old 20th Apr 2010, 5:29 pm   #3
JoshWard
Octode

I have a KB 'Tunetime'. Nice little player, mine uses a valve output and sounds pretty good with plenty of volume.
Seems well built too.
Old 20th Apr 2010, 6:30 pm   #4
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

If it's mid 1960s and transistorised it is most likely to use the PC range of chassis (PC1, 2, 3 or 4).

Nothing wrong with KB's products at all. They are not high end like the Hackers or Dynatrons but they beat the grossly over-rated Dansettes into a cocked hat. For standard mass market consumer electronics KB is up there with Pye in my (not un-biassed) opinion.
Old 20th Apr 2010, 6:39 pm   #5
Joey0027
Triode

Many thanks for all replies, much appreciated.

I have attached a photo of the item in question if this helps any further.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of kb1.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	34724  
Old 20th Apr 2010, 11:41 pm   #6
ben
Dekatron

tidy unit that, like the BSR UA 12 deck!
Old 21st Apr 2010, 6:14 am   #7
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

That looks to be a very neat little unit.

If it does use the PC series of chassis it should have an input socket intended for use as a guitar or radio input.

The record deck motor is pretty important with these as it has a secondary winding to power the amplifier.
Old 21st Apr 2010, 7:48 am   #8
Neil Purling
Nonode

Which version of the BSR TC8 cartridge has it got? The colours are different. The TC8M is brown. If this is a transistorised player this should have a TC8M.
If you intend actually using the record player to play stereo singles & LP's that cartridge will have to go........ If you care about the appearance I am sure there is a way for you to remove the little flag off the front of the TC8 & stick it into the hole, so all appears normal.
A replacement for the TC8 depends on knowing the output of the original and selecting something with similar output. Does anyone do clones of the BSR 'X*' series of crystal cartridges?
Old 21st Apr 2010, 8:38 am   #9
Chiltern
Heptode

I do believe that you will find this to be a valve amplifier.

I have had a couple of these over the years, the design is unusual in that the case is not rectangular, it does not show up in the picture but the front is a fair bit wider than the back.

nice player and yours looks to be in fine condition, time to have a look inside perhaps.

Alan
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 12:19 am   #10
Joey0027
Triode

Many thanks for all your comments so far guys.

I wasn't aware about the unusual styling of this unit, there has been no mention of this from the vendor & the picture does not give any clues to this...thanks for that info.

One question for all you experts....KB Rhythm or Bush SRP31D?
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 10:53 am   #11
Tim
Dekatron

If you look at the turntable which we assume to have parallell sides, then look at the gap between it and the side of the cabinet, it is narrowing towards the rear. This is much more than normal perspective, and indicates a "non square" case. (I only noticed once I re-looked after having it pointed out...............)

Last edited by Tim; 22nd Apr 2010 at 10:54 am. Reason: spellinyg
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 12:19 pm   #12
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

I think the front of the cabinet is supposed to be wider than the back. If you look at the lid it's wedge shaped.Oooops sorry, just noticed that has already been said.

Last edited by fidobsa; 22nd Apr 2010 at 12:30 pm. Reason: Repetition of comment
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 10:50 pm   #13
Chiltern
Heptode

Re the question of the KB player v a Bush SRP31

It's all a matter of personal preference, the KB (from memory) is a simple machine with one very elliptical speaker (something like a 7 x 2) but it is unusual in style. When, years ago I used to go to the NVCF and the Jukebox madness shows, the KB would sell easily because it is different.

The Bush, I know has many followers, it has a more powerfull amp and 2 speakers (although on many the tweeter has ceased to function), personally I always found them a little more difficult to sell, maybe because there was always a choice.

My own, completely biased, favorite is the Hacker series of valve machines, currently with 5. Not very portable but fine machines.

Alan
Closed Thread