UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2007, 10:21 pm   #1
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Smile Two nice finds

Hello all,
Just bought two nice sets for restoration from a house clearance contact.
A Marconiphone 296 and an HMV 425. Both sets are in quite good condition and have their card backs. The 296 still has it's PX4 in place! Looks like I will be kept buisy for quite a while! Digging out the "potted capacitors", on the 296 will no doubt prove be interesting
Happy days,
Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0001.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	9405   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0007.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	9406   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0008.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	9407   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0011.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	9408  
Old 25th Apr 2007, 10:59 pm   #2
Ian B
Hexode

Default Re: Two nice finds

Lucky Dog!

Nearly as surprising as the 296 having its PX4 intact is that the "M" across the speaker cloth is still there! Loads of them must have been destroyed by over-zealous use of a duster (not in our house!).

Both nice sets, I think the 296 sounds better, which you'd expect really.

Good luck with the restoration.

Ian Blackbourn
Old 26th Apr 2007, 6:49 am   #3
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Smile Re: Two nice finds

Hi Ian,
yes I was very lucky; Normaly this house clearance guy turns up with 1950s Regentone type stuff which I feel obliged to buy to curry favour for when he brings me a gem! It certainly paid off big time this time! However I now have a shed full of 1950s "tat", Guess I will have to do a car boot and get rid of the tat? These latest sets are acually better than the photos show. The scratches are only surface deep and will colour in. Having had a better look at them they are unmolested and I do have a replacement output valve for the missing MPT4 (odd sort of thing with 5 pin British base & a side connection for the grid)!
Paul.
Closed Thread