UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Aug 2017, 5:23 pm   #1
Iain Lee
Retired Dormant Member

Default Roberts R707 headphone socket?

Help!

You all seem much more experienced than me so I'm hoping for some simple answers! I am not very tech minded but here goes.

I'm putting on a show. I want to connect an old radio to a big speaker to amplify it.

I'm considering a Roberts R707.

Here's the question. Can I connect a standard 3.5mm plug into the headphone slot of the R707 and then run that into an amplifier?

If not, then could you recommend an old but affordable radio that could achieve that?

I hope I explained that properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 7:23 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Roberts R707 headphone socket?

Yes, that should work (assuming the radio works), but I'm not sure why you would want to do it. There are higher quality and more convenient ways of putting radio out through a PA system. You can buy a high quality hifi radio tuner on eBay for next to nothing.
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 7:35 pm   #3
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Lee View Post
I'm putting on a show. I want to connect an old radio to a big speaker to amplify it.
Do you mean a theatrical stage production?

It's not usual for a radio prop to be "practical" (I think that is the correct term).

Graham.
G3ZVT
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 8:53 pm   #4
Iain Lee
Retired Dormant Member

Nope, not usual but essential for this piece.
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 9:03 am   #5
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I use to feed my 1970's transistor portable radio through my stereo record player. I used a 3.5mm plug from the headphone socket of the radio into the 5 pin din socket of my stereo record player, using screened audio cable. Then it was just a case of adjusting the volume of the radio to prevent overload of the stereo record player ampifier. I think I just strapped the mono output of the radio to the left and right inputs on the 5 pin din plug. Today I would use a couple of resistors in line with each channel input.
It worked very well and I am sure this would work through any amp including a PA system.
Closed Thread