UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2017, 8:40 pm   #1
loftus1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Vortexian reel to reel - reels go in opposite directions.

Hi, I am currently trying to repair my Dad's 1950's Vortexian reel to reel. Everything was working fine, then there was a noise, and now it won't play or record. Forward and rewind still function. When I removed the reels I found that when I press play the motors that turn the reels are going in opposite directions. Has anyone got an idea why this is happening? Hoping to listen to some old recordings of my Da playing piano with his band, he had a great ear!

Thanks in advance,

Loftus.
Old 21st Aug 2017, 8:51 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Vortexian reel to reel - reels go in opposite directions.

With most reel to reel recorders, when play or record is selected, WITHOUT A TAPE LOADED the right hand reel rotates anti clockwise and the left hand reel rotates clockwise. The drive is via slipping clutches, so that the tape, which runs at constant speed is always in tension. It should be possible to stop the left hand reel by hand.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 21st Aug 2017, 11:18 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

All the Vortexian machines as far as I know are based on the Wearite deck which uses three motors, one for each spool and one for the capstan.

In FF or Rew, full power is applied to one of the spooling motors.

In playback (and record) reduced power is applied to both spooling motors.

I hope this helps you

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 10:37 pm   #4
BillDWVA
Pentode

On the Vortexion both the rewind and take-up motors are energised at a lower voltage in 'Play' and 'Record' by connecting them in series and shunting the rewind motor with a resistor to give a differential torque. I.e. The take-up pulls harder.

If the tape won't run check that the pinch roller is pressing against the rotating capstan and that the motor is actually running. This deck has three motors and the capstan motor is energised in all modes.
Closed Thread