UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2017, 11:30 am   #1
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Default Good Cheap Plastic Polish.

I recently bought a tube of 'Scratch Away' from the motoring section of Poundland and found it makes an excellent plastic polish; it's easily the best thing I've found so far for ABS telephones.

At 7 oz for a quid you can't go wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SA400535.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	144635  
Old 17th Jun 2017, 12:27 pm   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Good Cheap Plastic Polish.

Excellent. May grab some of that today to try out. Thanks for the tip.
Old 17th Jun 2017, 1:15 pm   #3
paulsherwin

It's the Poundland version of T-Cut. It's certainly worth buying a tube if you don't have something similar already.
Old 21st Jun 2017, 10:49 pm   #4
Oldcodger
Nonode

Aldi regularly do a two stage version of this stuff,. Two tubes( coarse & finish) with micro cloths in a box. Bit more than £1, but not bad value, if you wait for the sales.
Old 21st Jun 2017, 11:13 pm   #5
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Thank for the tip. I'm in there regularly so I'll keep my eyes open.
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 7:17 am   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Unfortunately, couldn't find any in my local Poundland. It doesn't appear to have a motoring section at all.
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 9:10 am   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I've visited their stores in Hull, Beverley and York this last couple of days and none of them have the polish.

In all of those stores, food items - soft drinks, sweets, snacks, milk - predominated.

I think the stock range varies from branch to branch according to what sells and what doesn't in each locality. Furthermore, as the value of the pound has dwindled over the years, certain items that used to be stocked aren't any longer, presumably because they can't source the items to be able to sell at the £1.00 price point with a profit margin, bearing in mind that on non-food items, the net revenue to the company is just £0.83p - 17p is VAT. As many items are imported from China, the deals will be done in $USD, and the GPB hasn't faired well this last year or two.

£1.00 in 1990 when the first store was opened now equates to £2.30, or to put it the other way round, £1.00 today equates to 44p in 1990, so as time passes, it will become even harder to stick to the 'everything is £1.00' offering. An example of an item that I often bought was clip-top food storage boxes, ideal for component storage. They had them for some years, but they disappeared off the shelves maybe five years ago. It's remarkable that they still sell large tubes of UHU glue for £1.00 when the same sized tube - even on ebay - is in excess of £4.50. Another item I've found excellent is 'Wizz Oxy' fabric stain remover which - even in tepid water - is great for cleaning stained speaker fabric with minimal shrinkage.

Interesting programme on ITV about Poundland last night 10.40pm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oxi Fabric Stain Remover (Poundland).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	144851  
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 11:29 am   #8
paulsherwin

They don't have an automotive section as such. They have a hardware and DIY section, and this stuff (if in stock) will be there somewhere. Items do go out of stock a lot, sometimes to return later, presumably as they order a new containerload from their suppliers.
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 1:04 pm   #9
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I first saw 'Scratch Away' on their web-site so may have been lucky on buying it at the first attempt.

A few weeks ago I had to go to all three branches in Sheffield before I found any rubble sacks, and got the final pack in the third branch. They've since re-appeared in all of them.
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 1:32 pm   #10
paulsherwin

I have seen Scratch Away on several occasions, so it definitely exists
Old 24th Jun 2017, 9:31 pm   #11
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Popped into Beverley Poundland again today and they'd now got stacks of it in stock, alongside such items as car aerosols paint sprays.
Closed Thread