UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 24th Apr 2017, 9:39 pm   #1
ManxDave
Tetrode

Default My first Hacker - Herald RP30

I am not sure this should be here as there was nothing too unusual about the restoration. TR2 & TR3 tin whiskers ( AF117s ) so TR1,2,3 all replaced with BF450s and a few electrolytics leaking electrically but I had to share my first Hacker experience.

An easy radio to work on having previously been inside Mullard LP modules.

My external 'short' wire aerial increases signal strength on LW but has no effect on an already good MW, is this normal or do I need to realign? I find the aerial has varying results on the bands of other radios.

I can now see what all the Hacker fuss is about, the audio quality is excellent. Now I need a Hacker with VHF ( prerfably Herald as I like the design ) and I will be content but they appear to be scarce and expensive.

The Hacker will join my Ferguson Fieldfare and Roberts 707 as my day to day radios but I think the Selena Vega 215 still has the edge on sensitivity.
Old 2nd May 2017, 4:52 pm   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: My first Hacker - Herald RP30

Well done! Certainly worthy of a Success Story. Hacker radios have quite a following. Sadly, I don't own one - I was given one years ago, but gave it away as I thought my Beolit 700 had the edge for sound quality...

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 2nd May 2017 at 4:53 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 2nd May 2017, 6:03 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: My first Hacker - Herald RP30

The thing is Dave you have brought another radio back to life , well done , as you say they are superb sounding radio's. I to have repaired several of the LP modules you do need a clear head, the amber nectar comes later when it works . Mick.
Closed Thread