UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2017, 12:45 pm   #1
'72_OTTO
Diode

Default Pioneer KEH-P1013R Car Radio Cassette issue- advice appreciated

I have had a series of radio cassette players in my 1972 VW camper, previously I've changed them when they failed but this Pioneer has been the best of them.

However both the wind and rewind functions stopped working recently, if I try either the set switches to radio.

I would really appreciate any advice as to likely causes for this and possible cures. Re. competency I'm a beginner in this field but I can solder and do fault find auto electrical problems. If I don't get anywhere I can always replace it but I would prefer to have a go at fixing it!

Many thanks,
James
Old 21st Sep 2017, 1:21 pm   #2
ITAM805
Nonode

Default Re: Pioneer KEH-P1013R Car Radio Cassette issue- advice appreciated

Broken belt possibly, the machine detects this then defaults to radio?
Old 21st Sep 2017, 4:31 pm   #3
'72_OTTO
Diode

Update: it is now working as normal.

So either it's an intermittent fault or maybe we couldn't tell it was winding due to external noise (French autoroute driving) and jumped to the wrong conclusion!

I'll repost if necessary when I've worked at which, sorry.
Old 24th Sep 2017, 7:21 pm   #4
Timvintage
Pentode

I have certainly noticed that some car cassette players will play the radio while they are rewinding or forwarding, so as you say maybe you just couldn't hear the mechanism at the time. But if you find that the fault is only every so often, it could be a loose belt, and that on older cassettes that are stiffer, the mechanism struggles to provide enough power to turn them, therefor shuts off.
Closed Thread