UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2017, 2:18 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Michael Bennett-Levy Documentary?

I have a copy of Mr Levy's catalogue/book "Tv is King" ISBN 0 9521057 published in Scotland 1994 [MBL Publications Musselburgh] and sponsored by Thorn EMI Radio Rentals. He died in October last year and was well known as an eccentric antiques dealer living in a restored castle building who was a "trade" collector of Televisions after developing an interest in their history and vulnerability as discarded items. Following an illness, he sold the collection at Sotheby's in 2009 [which attracted a great deal of publicity and excitement]. He then moved to France. I'm assuming Forum members may know all this!

The Frontispiece to the catalogue refers to a UK/German Documentary film about early TV history transmitted by BBC1 Scotland in April 1994. The sale was discussed here at the time but only one [oblique] reference to Mr Levy came up via my search? No trace of this film so far but it may just be a lack of skill at my end. Has anyone had a sight of it, obtained a copy or can point to a source. This "treasure hunt through the origins of public television" seems to be an invaluable resource. Perhaps Forum Members from Scotland or who are/have been domiciled there [in particular] may have some information? Did you see it? Does the BVWS [or anyone else] have a copy? Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 22nd May 2017 at 2:26 pm.
Old 22nd May 2017, 2:41 pm   #2
dtvmcdonald
Pentode

Default Re: Michael Bennett-Levy Documentary?

I'm interested in this. I believe it was Bonhams, not Sothebys. I am told that the
Marconi 702 I discuss in another thread here was sold at that auction. I looked at
the whole catalog, quite the thing.
Old 22nd May 2017, 3:07 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Is the the gentleman?
https://youtu.be/Du5bIueP-qk

Frank
Old 22nd May 2017, 7:07 pm   #4
ianm
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
I am told that the Marconi 702 I discuss in another thread here was sold at that auction
The 702 from the Bennett-Levy auction was bought and is owned by a well known member of the BVWS. It was expertly restored to full working order following the sale and has been successfully operated in both 240 and 405 line modes.

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 22nd May 2017, 7:51 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Replies noted chaps. I got confused tvmd [not unusual]. Yes it was Bonhams sale 2009. This great 1994 book is also an exhibition [not sales] catalogue-that's what it says anyway- but at Sotheby's on that occasion. There's a photo of a 1948 Ekco TSC Mirror Lid set like mine [the closet I've ever got to a pre-war TV

Yes that's him Frank. He seemed to be someone known to quite a few people but not to me. I would have liked to meet him. Even though he had an acknowledged commercial interest his activities were a great service to the preservation of Television History.

Yes Ian. I've read about that but can't recall who he is Perhaps he will turn up with some info re the film?

Thanks all.

Dave W
Bexhill-on Sea
Home of John Logie Baird

Michael B-L wrote a great review of the book "John Logie Baird A Life" [Antony Kamm/Ian L Baird] which describes the real J L Baird that I'd known something about for years... having met a businessman who told me he had a colour tv in his flat at Marble Arch in 1936 [this was in 1970] I thought he was a bit crazy at the time-we didn't get UK Colour TV until 1967 but Baird could do it then and later, electronically dying just around the corner from here as he was about to present the newest version of his system!

Last edited by dave walsh; 22nd May 2017 at 8:09 pm.
Old 23rd May 2017, 2:55 am   #6
dtvmcdonald
Pentode

I got confused my an email about by 702. It is this one:

https://www.earlytech.com/earlytech/...489&image=1957

confirmed by blemishes on the mirror and rear woodwork.

The statement on that page "The condition is generally very good and original"
does not apply to the electronics. Though they all work correctly,
I'm afraid the word "blodge" I first heard here applies in a few
places.

Does anyone know who did the electronics work?
Closed Thread