UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2017, 10:54 pm   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default EMI 78 turntable rumble

Hi all,

I recently bought a 78 turntable attached and managed to get it working today after replacing the two capacitors. I have a problem with a lot of rumbling from the motor, it is causing the casing to vibrate quite badly and becomes very noisy depending on what surface it is on. Can anyone suggest what is may be or how to sort it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170520_161713.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	142926  
Old 21st May 2017, 12:13 am   #2
electrogram
Heptode

Default Re: EMI 78 turntable rumble

If thats the one I think it is its one of the worst record decks ever designed. The drive consists of a motor with a rubber pulley that just leans on the inside of the turntable rim. Even if the pulley is still supple it will probably be noisy. On ones I have seen the pulley is lumpy or off centre or both.
Old 21st May 2017, 6:17 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

There was a similar looking version (produced with either an HMV or a Colombia logo on the head) that used a large-ish induction motor and a worm-and-wheel gearbox to drive the spindle. My parents had one of this sort. I got given it to take apart when they bought a new record player.

David
Old 21st May 2017, 2:23 pm   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: EMI 78 turntable rumble

Hi,
I used to have a similar deck which had the motor spindle running on a rubber 'tyre' around the outside of the turntable. The weight of the motor on its pivots was all that kept the spindle from slipping. The 'tyre' on mine was rock hard after all those years and rumbled a lot! A poor design indeed.
It disappeared during the house move to France, so I never repaired it.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 23rd May 2017, 8:12 pm   #5
RojDW48
Nonode

Is it a rim drive TT? I can't tell with the record in the way. I have a Columbia Grafonola rim drive from that era and it sounds fine. You might need to sleeve the drive spindle with some new rubber and the degree of 'lean' of the spindle on the rim should be adjustable. Don't leave the spindle in contact with the rim when not in use - that will result in little 'flats' on the drive rubber - then it really will rumble!