UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2017, 5:11 pm   #1
2ombieboy
Pentode

Default Ex BBC Tape from Pebble Mill. Mr Benn.

Just found a tape from a job lot I got of their off air stuff and BBC studio tapes from the BBC. The one I just put in is a live action episode of Mr Benn shot at Pebble Mill, Birmingham. It has bad language and is so cool, looks like the camera crew goofing around in their time off, as some members can be seen reading from scripts and there are boom mic intrusions. I have never seen anything like this.

The name on the tape says:-

Noel Paley
Pebble mill then his room number
Birmingham

Is this as cool as I think it is?

Alan
Old 20th May 2017, 5:26 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Ex BBC Tape from Pebble Mill. Mr Benn.

Is this a VHS tape?

The VT operators at various major broadcasting centres used to collect bloopers and outtakes and assemble them into what were known as 'Christmas tapes'. They were shown on the internal distribution systems around Christmas time, and some were dubbed onto VHS and given to friends or VT ops in different organisations. I worked at ITN in the 80s and one of the Christmas tapes contained, amongst other items, an obviously drunk ITN journalist trying to do a piece to camera and Ian Botham apparently smoking a cannabis joint.

The Christmas tape practice died out (as far as I know) when such material started to be sold for use in broadcast 'blooper' shows.
Old 20th May 2017, 5:31 pm   #3
Grubhead
Heptode

The BBC wiped many of it's TV shows to save money on tapes. They are interested in recovering many now. I would send them a letter to see if they are interested in it.
Old 20th May 2017, 5:38 pm   #4
2ombieboy
Pentode

Yes it seems to be from xmas but its not bloopers its like a film with acting and fairly good production values. it starts as the animation of mr benn then jumps to live action and is v long over 30 min so far. this was clearly never meant for broadcast. it is on vhs i will upload it to my youtube when its finished recording. its v interesting mr benn is time traveling threw time with proper sets and costumes

Alan
Old 20th May 2017, 5:44 pm   #5
Grubhead
Heptode

I would be very careful about uploading it to YouTube. The BBC are very funny about their copyright. If the BBC object you could have all your YouTube rights lost in one fatal blow!
It might even block it straight after spending hours uploading it!
Old 20th May 2017, 6:20 pm   #6
2ombieboy
Pentode

I have other bbc stuff on the channel. Only stuff they have ever blocked is top gear and top of the pops. The only copy Wright claim for this would be the animated sections. All the other copy Wright on the tape says belongs to q24 I think there are credits and no mention of the bbc. Only retrace to the beeb is hand written on the tape.

Alan
Old 20th May 2017, 7:09 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Ah - those Christmas tapes were like gold dust!
I would be careful as someone might be rather sensitive to having their off-duty moments put on Youtube, especially as they might still be in the business.
It's not so much a copyright issue, more a privacy one, I suspect.
Glyn
Old 20th May 2017, 7:14 pm   #8
System A
Pentode

Hi Alan
Are there any tapes with the Birmingham pm5544 test pattern shown , it was transmitted from the pebble mill centre. I have an interest in trade test material .
Regards.
Gary.
Old 20th May 2017, 7:45 pm   #9
2ombieboy
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
I would be careful as someone might be rather sensitive to having their off-duty moments put on Youtube, especially as they might still be in the business.
It's not so much a copyright issue, more a privacy one, I suspect.
Good point well taken these will have to stay on my hard drive. Shame as there really cool. I have lots of lost stuff I haven't uploaded as worried about copy Wright. Shows from the 70s 80s and 90s just a shame we aren't allowed to show them

Alan
Old 20th May 2017, 7:59 pm   #10
camtechman
Nonode

2ombieboy

Quote:
Just found a tape from a job lot I got of their off air stuff and BBC studio tapes from the BBC
Me too, except my bundle was 30x 5" BASF audio tapes (probably the sound recordist's)

10 of them were the voice of Judi Spiers !
Old 20th May 2017, 8:23 pm   #11
2ombieboy
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by System A View Post
Are there any tapes with the Birmingham pm5544 test pattern shown , it was transmitted from the pebble mill centre. I have an interest in trade test material.
if i find any buddy i will shoot you a pm
Old 20th May 2017, 9:41 pm   #12
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I have some old Christmas tapes,forget what they called them but they certainly were never to be transmitted!
Old 21st May 2017, 1:46 am   #13
Grubhead
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ombieboy View Post
Good point well taken these will have to stay on my hard drive. Shame as there really cool. I have lots of lost stuff I haven't uploaded as worried about copy Wright. Shows from the 70s 80s and 90s just a shame we aren't allowed to show them
You can upload them to YouTube, you just have to make certain the copyright owners don't object. You can send them the file and an e-mail explaining it and if they say yes. You can upload it. Then if YouTube object you can appeal and show them the e-mail saying it is OK.
I won a case a year ago. I had put a piece of Royalty Free music on a video and found that the record company were being paid every time my video was played. I told them it was free music and sighted it and won my case. They don't get paid now!
The TOTP blocks you mention are down to certain record companies that will not play ball with YouTube. And will not except the fee for the playing each time of the video. So they block it.
The situation is even worse in Germany as the record companies there want an even higher fee than what YouTube are prepared to fork out. So lots of videos are blocked. Some of the record companies say they are losing a fortune because of it.
Old 21st May 2017, 8:57 am   #14
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

There were two Christmas tapes as far as I know. White Powder Christmas and God King Memorex. I have a VHS of both and a DVD copy transcribed by a kind soul from here. They are a bit dated now but bits are still good.
Malcolm
Old 21st May 2017, 9:01 am   #15
red16v
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm G6ANZ View Post
There were two Christmas tapes as far as I know. White Powder Christmas and God King Memorex. I have a VHS of both and a DVD copy transcribed by a kind soul from here. They are a bit dated now but bits are still good.
Malcolm
There were a lot more than that (I was involved in making quite a few) and don't forget the iTV companies made many themselves.
Old 21st May 2017, 10:13 am   #16
Kentode
Octode

I still have (somewhere) five or six BBC Christmas tapes, given to me by friend who worked at the Emley Moor transmitter.

Once, he got me past security and we went, by rack and pinion lift, to the room just below the microwave horns. You can see the west and East coasts of England on a clear day!

BVWS member
Old 21st May 2017, 1:57 pm   #17
2ombieboy
Pentode

Thats real cool i live close enough to be able to see the transmitter and thats where i get my signal from i am thinking of doing a video on Emley Moor at some point in the future

Alan
Old 21st May 2017, 1:59 pm   #18
2ombieboy
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubhead View Post
You can upload them to YouTube, you just have to make certain the copyright owners don't object. You can send them the file and an e-mail explaining it and if they say yes. You can upload it. Then if YouTube object you can appeal and show them the e-mail saying it is OK.
who would i contact tho i dont have info on q24 who own the copyright

Alan
Old 21st May 2017, 5:02 pm   #19
2ombieboy
Pentode

question what about a closed account on vimio where only people with the link can see or even find the videos all run threw my patron site? its not linked to my youtube and its not detectable to the web just for my subscribers and friends.

Alan
Old 21st May 2017, 6:50 pm   #20
emeritus
Dekatron

For an idea of the difficulties that can arise in getting copyright clearance for a television broadcast, look at "The Seekers" 1968 farewell performance on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XR34gwnFMI

and click the "show more" tab in the introductory text, which explains why the original release on VHS has not been re-released on DVD.

Even the professionals can get it wrong: I recall reading that Diisney had to withdraw the VHS release of the original "Fantasia" from sale, because the original contract with Stokowski only covered use of the musical performance in films for showing in cinemas and not films for individual sale to the public.

Last edited by emeritus; 21st May 2017 at 7:12 pm.
Closed Thread