UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2017, 3:37 pm   #1
bill knox
Hexode

Default PCR Receiver

Hi

I have bought myself another P.C.R 2 Receiver complete with an original AC power supply, I will be cleaning off the front panels of the receiver and the power supply, one pleasant surprise is the condition of the supply connection, this is normally in a very poor condition but this one is quite useable.

The one dilemma that I have is the 2 pin mains connection on the power supply, if there is a problem with mains insulation, the set could end up with mains voltage on the chassis work.

What I am aiming to do is, take the 2 pin socket off and change it for a chassis mounted IEC Kettle plug connector complete with a fuse holder.

I have done this already with a power supply that I made from a spare PCR receiver 12V vibrator power supply, because the unit was completely rebuilt I did not have a problem, but because this power supply is original I cannot make my mind up.

I have added a photo showing a completely rebuilt power supply and the original untouched power supply.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00432.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	142389

Bill
Old 10th May 2017, 3:57 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: PCR Receiver

If the power supply and the receiver are earthed together than both into an earth spike you should be ok or run as is on an isolation transformer (Not StepDown).
Old 10th May 2017, 4:33 pm   #3
paulsherwin

The original PCR PSU would give a modern health and safety man a fit of the vapours, but I understand your dilemma as there are so few of these left in original condition - most PCRs had unsympathetic and irreversible mods done to them in the 60s and 70s when they were plentiful and not highly regarded. I think I would keep the original PSU unmodified but not use it.

I have a PCR, but it's suffered the usual butchery including being painted with gold Hammerite.
Old 10th May 2017, 4:49 pm   #4
bill knox
Hexode

Hi

Gold hammerite, phew, do you need sunglasses to look at it.

I use satin black from Halford's and they look pretty good to me when they are finished
I still have not made my mind up yet

The modified PSU in the picture has 2 transformers in it so that 12v and 6 v heaters can be used, I have used it on an HRO, R1155 and of course PCRs, the switch at the top right hand side selects the heater voltage and the 6 Way Jones plug at the bottom is wired up so that you cannot inadvertently put 12v on when you really want 6v

Bill
Old 10th May 2017, 5:16 pm   #5
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Why not use the existing 2-pin connector, but with the addition of the earth wire of the 3-core mains wire simply connected to a robust solder tag under any convenient adjacent chassis screw? I've no doubt this wouldn't comply with the letter of modern safety regulations, but if only you are using the unit and understand what you have done then it should be a technically satisfactory approach.
Andy
Old 10th May 2017, 5:27 pm   #6

A modification of Andys suggestion, a metal bracket over the two pin plug connected to earth and the four screws holding the connector down into the bracket. More than safe enough and you can't easily remove the connector and poke fingers etc. into it.

Old 10th May 2017, 6:12 pm   #7
bill knox
Hexode

Hi Paul

I have to say, one way I agree with you but in another way it seems a shame that it cannot be used (with safety in mind), the receiver is in quite good condition, hopefully I will have a few more replies.

Bill

Last edited by bill knox; 10th May 2017 at 6:20 pm.
Old 10th May 2017, 6:19 pm   #8
bill knox
Hexode

Hi MOFYA Andy

Yes, that's quite a good idea, I actually have a couple of the earth connectors from a PCR, fit that adjacent to the mains connector should do quite well.

The other problem is that if I decide to sell it, It has to be electrically safe as I can be held responsible, but I do rather like the idea of a connector close to the mains connector serving as the earth.

Bill
Old 10th May 2017, 6:36 pm   #9
short wave
Pentode

Hi bill,
just a thought could you remove the bulb holder and run an input cable in this way ,using a grommet and strain relief , if the hole is too big then a little metal fabrication to make a reduction in hole size (use bulb holder screws to secure it).The original input pins should be disconnected .Keep the "bits" inside for returning to originality if required at a later date.
Old 10th May 2017, 6:42 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

Just fit an RCD plug to the mains lead and leave it completely standard. Or as already suggested, use an isolation transformer, though if this is sold with it, it will need to meet current standards for safety.

If you haven't modified it then it's as safe as when it was made and you can't be called to account over it. It's no more dangerous than an original ac/dc radio anyway. Getting rid of that handwritten note about earthing would improve its originality too!

It presumably hasn't killed anyone yet and it's unlikely to be used by anyone with no savvy whatsoever!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 10th May 2017, 6:55 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Feed it from a 1:1 isolation transformer and it'll be safe.

Must admit, I have a distinct liking for the PCR series; they're logically like the receive-side of a 19-set but fitted with a decently powerful output stage. My current "Kitchen radio" is a PCR that's been - seemingly rather professionally - fitted with an internal 240VAC supply and a 'Magic Eye' tuning indicator.

Listening to shortwave religious-broadcasters or Chinese propaganda stations is much more entertaining than anything the BBC can offer.
Old 10th May 2017, 7:51 pm   #12
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

If you decide to sell, get the buyer to sign a disclaimer like I have had to do for a rather lethal power supply that goes with a 19 Set.

Easy way though, don't mod it, as I stated earlier use a proper isolation tranny.

My sun glasses are ready Paul should you ever post a picture!
Old 10th May 2017, 11:40 pm   #13
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Listening to shortwave religious-broadcasters or Chinese propaganda stations is much more entertaining than anything the BBC can offer.
Each to their own!
Old 12th May 2017, 10:13 pm   #14
G4PEO John
Retired Dormant Member

I've been lurking here for about a year absorbing all the excellent advice and wisdom, and now at last I have found a subject I can hopefully make a meaningful contribution to!

I had originally purchased a PCR2 less PSU via Ebay, so was on the lookout, ideally for a PCR PSU. Whilst at Kempton Park last year I initially spotted a PCR PSU and then noticed sitting next to it was a PCR with what looks like factory fitted BFO. (PCT?)

Name:	PCR.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	142504

The PSU had been been modified - a variation FWIW on what Bill is contemplating, with, in this instance the mains cable entering the front panel where the mains connector was originally, plus the addition of two panel fuse holders. Mains earth goes to chassis. Power to the PCR is via a 4 way Jones skt.

Name:	PCR_PSU_Panel.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	142505 Click image for larger version

Name:	PCR_PSU_internal1.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	142506

I haven't touched or checked either PCR or PSU yet as they are in the queue to follow the DX-40u currently on the workbench.

So possibly another option for Bill to consider...

John
Old 13th May 2017, 7:58 am   #15
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

John,
If it is indeed a PCT you have a real rarity there!
Andy
Old 13th May 2017, 11:00 am   #16
G8BBZ
Pentode

Hi All,
Is the PCR - like receiver fitted with BFO not the PTR (rather than PCT) The Pye Telecom product history site records the PTR receiver but no mention of a PCT.
cheers
Peter G8BBZ
Old 13th May 2017, 11:11 am   #17
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I'm sure you're right, I didn't check that PCT was correct, and no, I wasn't trying to be a 'smart-arse' either, it was a genuine observation that one fitted from new with a BFO must be rare.
Are there any other examples with a factory-fitted BFO known to exist?
Andy
Old 13th May 2017, 11:12 am   #18
G4PEO John
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry - I meant the PTR - don't know where PCT came from!

John
Old 14th May 2017, 11:03 am   #19
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Thjat does look an "interesting" PCR: with BFO off/on on the dial-plate instead of the usual tone-control, and a 'different' antenna-connector as well as the BFO/AVC controls. Methinks you've got quite a rarity there!

Is it original, or could it be an 'official' reworking of a PCR? Plenty of these receivers (along with similar WWII-vintage kit like 19- 22- and 62-sets) were "reworked" in REME workshops in the 1950s, often involving some quite extensive modifications.
Old 15th May 2017, 6:28 am   #20
Radio Wrangler

The REME rebuilds could be very extensive. I have an early AR88 they fitted with a full PVC wiring harness!. The amount of labour they often put into a set would have made any accountant self-combust.

It looks like radios were in desperately short supply in the 50's or they had a lot of skilled people and needed to find something for them to do.

David