UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2012, 1:02 pm   #1
allanh1980
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony PS-F5 Restoration/Repair - any help?

Hi folks.

I've just signed up for this forum in the hope of garnering some help or advice regarding my Sony PS-F5 vertical turntable. I'm not an engineer or expert by any means, so I'm hoping someone more technically-minded can help.

Is there anyone on this forum who is familiar with these units? I have a problem with the unit which superficially seems like quite an easy fix - but having taken it to a local repair shop it appears that I need the expertise of someone more familiar with the PS-F5 to get it back to full working order.

I'd outline the problem here but that feels a bit presumptious. Can anyone recommend a good vintage turntable restorationist or repairer I could contact? I'm based in SE England but would be willing to travel pretty much anywhere in the UK to get it looked at.

Thanks very much!
Allan H.
Old 4th May 2012, 1:20 pm   #2
Wage Slave
Hexode

Default Re: Sony PS-F5 Restoration/Repair - any help?

Allan, I would go ahead and outline the problem. It's meat and drink around here. Rest assured you have found the right place.
Old 4th May 2012, 1:32 pm   #3
allanh1980
Retired Dormant Member

Fair enough, and thanks!

The unit is in good working order, but I tried to change the stylus (ND-144G) with a generic replacement (which didn't fit) and I think some sloppy-handedness of mine may have knocked the tone arm out of balance. When I tried to play another record, the playback was horribly distorted and the needle was skipping all over the place. I'm not in any way technically-minded, but I put this down to a simple tracking/alignment or stylus problem.

I took the unit to a local repair shop, who tried re-balancing the tone arm both horizontally and vertically using (still-available) washers. They've had the unit for two months and only today got back to me stating their reluctance to open it up or do any more work on it due to the relative scarcity of available parts.

All of which brings me to this forum and my hunt for engineers or enthusiasts familiar with the unit, who might be willing to have a look at it for me and give me a more detailed diagnosis of the problem.
Old 4th May 2012, 11:15 pm   #4
Michael Maurice

Allan,

I've just downloaded a copy of the service manual.

Musonic stock a replacement stylus, they are not far from me.

I dont know what you've done, more importantly I dont know what your 'local' engineer had done, so I'd be getting a new stylus from Musonic and carrying out the adjustments.

Please contact me by PM if you want my help.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 4th May 2012, 11:54 pm   #5
GP49000
Hexode

The symptom sounds suspiciously like the diamond tip falling off the tiny plastic shank that mounts onto the stylus cantilever. On an inexpensive stylus, only the VERY tip is diamond. Sometimes that tip is so tiny that you can't tell it's gone without magnification.

By the way, Sony ND-144G stylus is actually Audio-Technica, their ATN-51S, -52S or -53S. It was made as original equipment for many different phonograph makers and in different colors. You may have a wider selection by searching for the Audio-Technica stylus; in fact a GENUINE Audio-Technica or GENUINE Sony would be the best-quality direct replacement rather than an aftermarket copy. Audio Technica ATN-55E, -57E or -59E would be an upgrade, with an elliptical stylus tip. Last time I looked, the elliptical upgrades were also all-diamond, not a tiny diamond chip on a plastic shank. They DO cost more.
Closed Thread