UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jul 2012, 7:04 am   #1
Studio263
Octode

Default I can't upload pictures

I've found that I can't upload pictures anymore. I can open the box where the files are selected but when I press "upload" the green bar slowly fills up but when it gets to the end it gets stuck and the process never completes.

Does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong? I've tried several times without success.
Old 17th Jul 2012, 8:37 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: I can't upload pictures

I'm sure you've checked this already, but are you sure that your pics are within the forum's size limits?
Old 17th Jul 2012, 9:17 am   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Works fine for me (Firefox, Windows 7).

If you are uploading several try doing them one at a time instead. If they are large, resize to ideally within the forum limits, or at least something more reasonable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2062.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	68686  

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 17th Jul 2012, 5:15 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

Check you haven't uploaded a pic of same name already - caught me once ISTR.
Old 17th Jul 2012, 6:26 pm   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Check that your pics are not .BMP files. If they are, convert them to .JPG types.
Having said that, it does sound as though the pics are too large: there is a size limit, dependent on the format you choose.

Al.
Old 18th Jul 2012, 2:14 am   #6
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
Works fine for me (Firefox, Windows 7).

If you are uploading several try doing them one at a time instead. If they are large, resize to ideally within the forum limits, or at least something more reasonable.
Radiator behind a door?
I think I saw that correctly, if so, shoot the builders!!! otherwise, the kitties are cute.
Old 18th Jul 2012, 8:26 am   #7
Studio263
Octode

The pictures I was trying to upload were small (c. 500 x 500, JPG), it worked OK a few weeks ago but now it just gets stuck. I tried turning everything off and starting again, no joy. I also tried reducing the number of pictures from 4 to 3 but the results were the same. Has something changed about how the forum works in the last week or so?
Old 18th Jul 2012, 9:30 am   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

No. It moved to a faster server but that won't affect anything (the proof being that nobody else is having problems). If anything there should be less problems now because the server is less likely to time out when resizing big images.

Paul Stenning
Old 18th Jul 2012, 10:27 am   #9
Studio263
Octode

Well it must be me then! I'll have to find someone with a fast internet connection and see if there are any updates to install, hopefully then it will work again.
Old 18th Jul 2012, 2:24 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

If you are on dial-up connection then it is quite likely that the upload will take too long. Try one at a time and keep them small.

Also try a different browser in case it's a problem with the specific one you are using.

I don't know what you are using, but Internet Explorer 6 and below are not supported (if they work partly or fully here then that is due to luck and not intention).

Paul Stenning
Old 13th Jan 2013, 6:29 pm   #11
emeritus
Dekatron

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but I have found that PAINT, that I think ships with all versions of Windows, can be used to resize images ( not sure about the latest versions) .

The situation arose today that my wife needed to email a dozen school photos that were about 4MB each: she cannot make any changes to her school laptop herself, so downloading and using some of the free software that has been mentioned in various threads was not an option. I found that it is possible to resize JPEG files using PAINT, by the following procedure.

* Right click on the image file, select OPEN WITH, and choose PAINT.

* When PAINT opens, it will probably only display a tiny part of the picture, but that doesn't matter. Click the IMAGE tag, and select STRETCH/SKEW.

* When STRETCH AND SKEW opens, change the default 100% settings in both of the STRETCH boxes to identical smaller values. Some experimentation may be necessary to find the right size, but in my case a 3.7MB image became 270k at 50% and 115k at 25%. Click OK to return.

* Right click FILE and select either SAVE to overwrite, or SAVE AS to save under a new name to prevent overwriting the original uncompressed file.

Not perhaps the most elegant method, and no provision for selecting JPEG quality, but not one I have seen mentioned before, and it should work on any Windows PC.

Last edited by emeritus; 13th Jan 2013 at 6:40 pm.
Old 14th Jan 2013, 1:32 pm   #12
peter_scott
Dekatron

Hi emeritus,

A much easier way to resize images is a microsoft freebee called image resizer. You can highlight several pictures at once and resize with one operation. http://microsoft-powertoys-image-res....softonic.com/

Peter
Old 14th Jan 2013, 2:29 pm   #13
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus blocks that download as "potentially unwanted software". This should be a safer link http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Paul Stenning
Old 14th Jan 2013, 8:34 pm   #14
emeritus
Dekatron

I appreciate that there are lots of useful programs available for download, and I must try that program that allows batch resizing: doing them one by one is tedious! The PAINT method was only suggested for anyone who, like my wife, is unable to download programs themselves for any reason and has to make do with what is already installed.

I usually use Microsoft Photo edtor which used to ship with Microsoft Office until the later versions of XP. The Microsoft web site has a fix for re-installing it using the master XP disc, but it runs quite happlily on my XP laptop by simply copying the contents of the Photoed program folder from my old Windows 98 PC onto a USB drive and starting using the .EXE file. However, PhotoEditor can't open files greater than about 3MB, no problem with my old 3.3 Megapixel digital camera that creates 2MB files, but an issue wth the latest models when images are captured at high resolution.
Closed Thread