UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Apr 2010, 7:27 am   #1
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Default Heathkit SRP-1 record player

I have acquired one of these portable! stereo record players and it's been modified for CDs etc. I want to put it back to original but cannot find much about it on the web so far. Can anyone help with a circuit diagram of this unit? TIA

Ian
Old 23rd Apr 2010, 12:18 pm   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Heathkit SRP-1 record player

Ian,

Have a look at Paul Stenning's Vintage Radio Information - he has a lot of Heathkit stuff on there.

http://www.vintage-radio.info/
Old 23rd Apr 2010, 11:52 pm   #3
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Hi Brian,

Yes, I searched that site and most of the other relevant ones as well. This thing seems to be a rarity. The RP-1 uses valves and is nothing like I have. It's down on one channel so it would help to have the schematic, but I guess I could just check all the active devices.

Regards,

Ian
Old 24th Apr 2010, 8:44 am   #4
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Well, if it's any help the SRP-1 was described in the Heathkit adverts in Radio Constructor in 1967 as "New."

It might be worth looking at small transistor amplifiers around at the same time (not necessarily Heathkit) offering 2 to 4 watts.

Other than that it's a case of the standard things, electrolytics, dry joints, and if the low output is also distorted, the bias components for the output stage.

Good luck with it.
Old 24th Apr 2010, 9:27 am   #5
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Brian Thanks for that extremely useful information, There is a site where lots of old Radio Constructors have been scanned in. I will take a look there.
I found the cause of the silence on one channel which was an electrolytic where one wire just fell out of the board. That was a Callins. I think that I have read on the Forum that Callins caps weren't up to much. Anyway I have changed all four of them now. The amp now works on both channels. Just need to fit a new stylus to the BSR cart and probably have a look for hard grease in the tuntable and that will be that. Only the cosmetic stuff to do.

Regards,

Ian
Old 24th Apr 2010, 11:26 am   #6
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Hi Ian,

I'm glad you've sorted it out.

I found the review of it in RC, February 1968, so at 42 years old it's a positive spring chicken!

I thought you might be interested so I've attached it here. I was a bit out in my guesstimate as to its power output, with 1.5 Watts RMS per channel I should think it sounds pretty good!

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SRP-1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	34881  
Old 24th Apr 2010, 8:01 pm   #7
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Brian,

Yes the thing doesn't sound too bad. It needs a new stylus really and I have one on order. The PSU is a bit basic, a single silicon rectifier as a half wave rectifier and a 1000uF + 1000uF with both halves commoned. I don't know if that was original because a previous owner had added all sorts of things for CDs and tape recorders, all of which I have removed. Thanks for the attachment in your last posting, that is the only reference to the unit that I have seen As you say, it's not all that old but worth playing with I think.

Regards,

Ian
Closed Thread