UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Oct 2017, 8:08 am   #1
jascha
Hexode

Default Reel to Reel tape identification help!

Hi everyone,

I received 2 5" tapes today still sealed in their bag and would like to know what brand they are please. I never came across this tape before and have seen most of them probably by now, but not this one. The backcoating is a pink colour but it's not AFGA PER525 as there's no print on it. The tape is Standard play tape. I attach photos of course. Could it be zonal? The boxes are blue with no writing on them! Strange one!

Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8868.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	150395   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8869.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	150396   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8870.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	150397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8871.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	150398  
Old 6th Oct 2017, 9:39 am   #2
Marotick
Triode

Default Re: Reel to Reel tape identification help!

The reel looks like Scotch.
Jack
Old 6th Oct 2017, 9:44 am   #3
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

They could be tapes used by the radio and TV industry for sound location recording..before digital?

These industries obviously used vast amounts of tapes and therefore brand identity was not important..but Zonal was one manufacturer they used.

The radio industry tended to use them in their Uhers while TV used them in their Nagras.
There is still plenty of NOS still around and if they are as stated they will have been made to a spec and be very good quality.
Old 6th Oct 2017, 10:49 am   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The batch codes, box colour and reels indicate Zonal 675. This was BBC type 200, equivalent to Agfa 468. Odd to see a pink back coat, but the mirror finish to the oxide puts it later than the type 100 Zonal.
Old 6th Oct 2017, 11:16 am   #5
jascha
Hexode

Wow! Where does this info come from? I took a guess that it was Zonal but pink? It's a new one to me! I shall test it against BASF 468 and see how it performs bias-wise! I have a Zonal tape that's blue. I have not come across BBC type 200 so far and Google is not giving me much info either. Many thanks guys
Old 7th Oct 2017, 8:33 pm   #6
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Reel to Reel tape identification help!

Hi,
A friend of mine used to work for the Beeb at Bush House and used coloured tape a lot. I have a reel of green matt backed tape and some blue.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 8th Oct 2017, 7:29 am   #7
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The green stuff is Scotch 262 and the blue one of the Racal products, both BBC Type 102.
Old 8th Oct 2017, 8:51 am   #8
jascha
Hexode

These forums are wonderful. One can wind the clock back anytime! I too have the Green & Blue stuff. The Green stuff was also used a lot by Italian Rai Radio as some of mine came indirectly from there. Did the BBC have any other types than the ones mentioned here? I know they used also the Black Zonal 675 & Agfa PEM468. Any other coloured backcoated tape that one knows of? I can mention the Yellow BASF PES40 & Turquoise BASF LGR40 (that have no printing on them).
Old 8th Oct 2017, 9:38 pm   #9
jamesperrett
Octode

Quote:
Did the BBC have any other types than the ones mentioned here?
I have a few location recordings for Tomorrow's World from the 1970's which are on Scotch 207 (just a standard black back coating though).
Closed Thread