UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2016, 4:38 pm   #1
Miguel Lopez
Heptode

Default Instability on a diferential output amplifier

Hello

I've been trying a diferential output amplifier, as it is my intention in the future to build a transistor oscilloscope, with better performance that the valve one that I'm currently using. Althought the circuit that I've been testing amplifies the input signal very well, it suffers from instability with no signal applied.

That means that with the input connected to ground, the voltage across points A and B (see picture) is constantly "moving". The range in which it moves, is about 0,6V. Then the trace on the scope will be moving too.

Voltage at points C and D, are very stable, and Vcc (60V) is also very stable. So I can not find tha reason for this instability.

I'm asking for help to solve such instability.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diferential Amplifier.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	125083  

Last edited by Miguel Lopez; 27th May 2016 at 4:53 pm.
Old 27th May 2016, 9:50 pm   #2
orbanp1
Heptode

Default Re: Instability on a diferential output amplifier

Hi Miguel,

A quick answer/guess to your question could be a non-perfect pot in the source of the FET.

Just curious, where is that circuit coming from? Is it your own development?

Designing a vertical amp for a scope is not a trivial task.
I guess one would start from the requirements...

Designing an amp to your own needs could be tremendous fun and very rewarding (assuming it works as expected). The suggestion would be to simulate the performance of the circuit first and only proceed with the implementation when the simulation results are satisfactory.

Also, you do not need to reinvent the wheel, so you should look at the schematics of transistorized scope vertical amps.
Vertical amps of transistorized scopes with about 5MHz to 10MHz bandwidth are usually a lot more complex than the circuit given above.
First comment would be on the role of the R11 pot in the source of Q5. It would both change the gain as well as the DC balance of the circuit! You really need to separate those two functions!

The Radiotechnika Evkonyve 1976 issue, pp. 33-69, (a yearly publication) had a long article on building scopes. It is in Hungarian, but it is still worth to look at the schematics.
(The author worked as a designer at EMG, at that time one of the biggest test equipment producers in the Eastern-block.)
It can be downloaded from here:
http://www.diagram.com.ua/english/li...nyve-magazine/

Good luck, Peter

Last edited by orbanp1; 27th May 2016 at 10:06 pm.
Old 27th May 2016, 10:35 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

With no emitter resistors in the long-tail pair, you have it set to give high gain all in one stage. In a scope Y amplifier, I'd expect to see multiple differential amplifier stages, each with emitter degeneration, possibly with a cascode arrangement in the collectors, and with R-C compensation networks between the emitters to get flat gain across the frequency band.
The instability could be thermal drift in the transistors magnified by the high gain.

David
Old 28th May 2016, 6:10 pm   #4
Restoration73
Nonode

I see D3 is not decoupled for noise - might be worth a try.
Old 28th May 2016, 7:48 pm   #5
n_r_muir
Hexode

Hi Miguel

The Telequipment S54 has a relatively simple Y amplifier
http://elektrotanya.com/telequipment.../download.html
Old 28th May 2016, 9:45 pm   #6
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

That download has both S54 and S54A manuals. Whilst the S54 looks simpler than the S54A, its front end has two nuvistors.
About 30 years ago, being short of 13CW4 nuvistors, and having a few S54 scopes, I played about replacing the nuvistors with FETs. From memory, I simply put a zener (plus resistor maybe) in the supply to the anodes and a small electrolytic to 0v rail. Worked perfectly. I tried to do the same with a dynamco Y amp, but failed, I think because of characteristics of the Dynamco's nuvistors and my available FETs.
Les
Old 30th May 2016, 2:06 pm   #7
Miguel Lopez
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbanp1
you do not need to reinvent the wheel
The fact that I'm trying to build a scope at home, it is re-inventing the wheel by itself.

Quote:
where is that circuit coming from? Is it your own development?
I designed it, trying to use what I have at hand.

Quote:
you should look at the schematics of transistorized scope vertical amps.
I usually do it but they are usually very complex. And usually, I do not have the required components to build them.

Quote:
scopes with about 5MHz to 10MHz bandwidth
If I get 100kHz bandwidth, I will be very happy.

Quote:
First comment would be on the role of the R11 pot in the source of Q5. It would both change the gain as well as the DC balance of the circuit! You really need to separate those two functions!
I know I have to separate those functions, but I have to go step-by-step. One problem at the time. Thanks for your comments. I'm trying to download the magazine right now.

Last edited by Miguel Lopez; 30th May 2016 at 2:15 pm.
Closed Thread