UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2017, 11:28 am   #1
MyIdenTT
Tetrode

Default No head/drum spin after cold storage...JVC VCR HR-S7600EK

I have a JVC VCR HR-S7600EK that has been stored for a few weeks in a cold garage. It was all working before storing but now the video head/drum does not spin up. The tape loads and ejects but goes into standby/shutdown when asked to play etc.. Does anyone have any experience with these before I plunge in? Many thanks

symptoms here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xjilg1zpa...BhmO83fda?dl=0
Old 29th Mar 2017, 12:06 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: no head/drum spin after cold storage...JVC VCR HR-S7600EK

Have you given it time to warm up to room temperature and dry out? The condensation sensor may be tripping.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 12:18 pm   #3
IanNVJ35
Heptode

That is the model with dynamic drum isn't it? The gear inside the head that drives it cracks and the machine shuts down as improper operation is noted. Note, no spares are available now, you will likely need to replace the head with a non-dynamic equivalent from a similar model.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 3:45 pm   #4
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Re: No head/drum spin after cold storage...JVC VCR HR-S7600EK

If you have given the machine a few hours to warm up and dry out as suggested then you could try shorting out the dew sensor in case it's duff. Failing that then as Ian says it's needing a new head.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 6:22 pm   #5
MyIdenTT
Tetrode

Hello and many thanks for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Have you given it time to warm up to room temperature and dry out? The condensation sensor may be tripping.
It had at least 12 hours in the house before operating. It was in a cold garage for a few weeks, but inside a 'really useful' plastic box, so hopefully not subjected to too much moisture. It's had two weeks indoors now and still misbehaving..

Whereabouts is the condensation sensor and what does it look like? Is it a circuit protector? It has been suggested i should suspect these - black in colour and about 3-4mm in length and usually designated ICP301, ICP401 or similar on the circuit board but I'm having trouble confidently identifying them - is 'CP' an abbreviated 'ICP' or something different?

Do these have a mode switch -I cannot locate it?

I'm afraid your dealing with the electronically illiterate here. My experience extends to replacing the odd bulgey capacitor. I have a multimeter but am not confident how exactly to test whether the drum is receiving power...

I've managed to find a service manual online. The machine apparently has an 'emergency display function' for diagnostics, but i have not managed to find th 'N' button on the remote to enter ED mode (see earlier Dropbox link).

My apologies for so many questions - I would like to save the VCR if I can - it's a favourite for capturing VHS/VHSC to digital (TBC etc).
Old 29th Mar 2017, 6:26 pm   #6
MyIdenTT
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanNVJ35 View Post
That is the model with dynamic drum isn't it? The gear inside the head that drives it cracks and the machine shuts down as improper operation is noted. Note, no spares are available now, you will likely need to replace the head with a non-dynamic equivalent from a similar model.
It is indeed the model with dynamic drum. If it does come to replacing the drum is there a way of identifying which others - models/part numbers - are compatible?
Old 29th Mar 2017, 8:01 pm   #7
John123
Heptode

When powered up out of standby, there should be 12v DC present on pin 5 of that drum motor's flat ribbon connector. That's a good place to start! You can easily measure it with a multimeter (negative probe on chassis ground, and positive probe to pin 5).

Just be very careful not to short out any of the pins with the multimeter probe!
Old 29th Mar 2017, 8:08 pm   #8
paulsherwin

If it's had 12 hours at room temperature then it won't be a condensation issue.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 8:45 pm   #9
jayceebee
Heptode

It's not a machine I've ever encountered but I'm not aware of any JVC domestic machines ever been fitted with dew sensors other then camcorders.

With no tape inserted does the head spin freely if rotated by hand?

John.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 9:23 pm   #10
MyIdenTT
Tetrode

Quote:
With no tape inserted does the head spin freely if rotated by hand?
Yes, the head does spin freely and moves slightly as the tape is wrapped around it.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 9:24 pm   #11
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceebee View Post
It's not a machine I've ever encountered but I'm not aware of any JVC domestic machines ever been fitted with dew sensors
You may well be right, it was just a guess and I don't know this model personally.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 9:29 pm   #12
MyIdenTT
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John123 View Post
When powered up out of standby, there should be 12v DC present on pin 5 of that drum motor's flat ribbon connector. That's a good place to start! You can easily measure it with a multimeter (negative probe on chassis ground, and positive probe to pin 5).

Just be very careful not to short out any of the pins with the multimeter probe!
thanks, John you've found my level

On standby pin furthest from centre of drum has 2.02V. When a tape is loaded or ejected this changes to 1.97V and reverts to 2.02V when the machine puts itself back into standby. At no time does it show 12V. I repeated this test in low light, holding a book over the transport area in case of sensor issues, with the same result.
Old 30th Mar 2017, 12:17 am   #13
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Can you hear the dynamic drum motor trying to work?
Old 30th Mar 2017, 2:16 am   #14
John123
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyIdenTT View Post
On standby pin furthest from centre of drum has 2.02V. When a tape is loaded or ejected this changes to 1.97V and reverts to 2.02V when the machine puts itself back into standby. At no time does it show 12V. I repeated this test in low light, holding a book over the transport area in case of sensor issues, with the same result.
That could be either one of the FG or PG pulse 'sense' voltages for speed regulation. One of those pins will have the full 12v DC on it to drive the motor, so try the opposite (the pin nearest to the centre of the drum, instead).

There might be a little marking on the PCB to tell you which is pin 1, so easy enough to figure out.
Old 30th Mar 2017, 10:54 am   #15
MyIdenTT
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanNVJ35 View Post
Can you hear the dynamic drum motor trying to work?
I listened closely to the motor when inserting the tape and could hear nothing from it...
Old 30th Mar 2017, 11:17 am   #16
MyIdenTT
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John123 View Post
That could be either one of the FG or PG pulse 'sense' voltages for speed regulation. One of those pins will have the full 12v DC on it to drive the motor, so try the opposite (the pin nearest to the centre of the drum, instead).

There might be a little marking on the PCB to tell you which is pin 1, so easy enough to figure out.
I found the little mark on the PCB to tell you which is pin 1 and kept the probe on while i inserted the tape:

standby tape in

PIN 1 2.02V 1.97V
2 288mv 288mv
3 139mv 4V
4 -3.7mv -26mv
5 0 5mv

How do you guys tackle this kind of thing? Is there a way of tracing the fault back from the motor to at least to know which board is culprit? I am aware of the forum rules, so have attached only the Service Man table of contents as a starting point...
Old 30th Mar 2017, 11:38 am   #17
MyIdenTT
Tetrode

Quote:
have attached only the Service Man table of contents as a starting point...
...and here it is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	serv man contents list.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	140091  
Old 30th Mar 2017, 12:51 pm   #18
MyIdenTT
Tetrode

ah ...having trouble retaining my formatting

PIN1 standby 2.02V, tape in 1.97V
PIN2 standby 288mv, tape in 288mv
PIN3 standby 139mv, tape in 4V
PIN4 standby -3.7mv, tape in -26mv
PIN5 standby 0.00V, tape in 5mv
Old 30th Mar 2017, 6:39 pm   #19
MyIdenTT
Tetrode

...on further investigation, it looks like PIN5 at the drum motor ribbon connector arrives at PIN1 of CN3001 on the big board.

This agrees with voltage chart info for CN3001: 11.5V at PIN1. I am not picking up this 11.5V at either end of the cable...where to look next?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drum motor ribbon connector.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	140112   Click image for larger version

Name:	CN3001 ribbon connector.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	140113   Click image for larger version

Name:	system control voltage chart marked.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	140114   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170330_175956_resized.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	140115  
Old 30th Mar 2017, 6:50 pm   #20
John123
Heptode

I think Pin 3 is the 'motor start' (control) voltage, so the drum is being told to start-up, but as the 12 volt supply is missing (Pin 5), it's going into shutdown.

Try unplugging the entire flat ribbon cable and check you have your 12 volts on the opposing connector on the main PCB. If you find it there, then the flat ribbon cable is faulty (try reseating), or there is a dry joint on the connector.

Failing that, the problem is going to be on the main PCB. The 12 volt rail will have to be traced back, and that's a little more involving. Could be an open-circuit resistor or IC protector..or another pesky dry joint (if you're lucky!)

*EDIT* Just saw your latest post, so ignore my middle paragraph. You might also want to check the health of the power supply to make sure a rail isn't missing. If you have the service data anyway, it will tell you what voltages to look for.

Last edited by John123; 30th Mar 2017 at 7:04 pm.
Closed Thread