UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2017, 3:52 am   #1
Ekco-Scott
Pentode

Default Ekco TCG316 Tele-Gram

Hi all

Its been a long time since I posted on the forum properly I've been doing radios and record players for a while but wanted to get back to TV.

So here is/was my current project :/ I was working on the set I had just reinstalled the Turntable and what did I see?

What looks and feels like a deep scratch in the Bell of the CRT

I ran my nail across it and it definitely feels and sounds like a deep scratch if not a crack!

The saddest part is the CRT doesn't seem to be the awful CRM171 as this one has Dag coating and the scan coils are on so tight I can't move them. This makes me think it is a Mullard tube. I know the set was still in use in 1970 as I have a receipt for a new valve in the manual dated that year.

I don't know what to do from here as I needed to remove the CRT to clean the implosion glass and mask as they are rather dirty but it now looks like it might be to dangerous.

So that's my story any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0494.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	140020   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0493.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	140021  
Old 29th Mar 2017, 8:05 am   #2
Freya
Octode

Default Re: Ekco TCG316 Tele-Gram

If in doubt if it is a scratch or crack, assuming the CRT is still holding a good vacuum then removing the wiring from the scan coils would be a better way to go.
Wear gloves and goggles and an extra layer or two when handling, just in case.

You may find it is just a scratch from something very sharp but its not worth taking a risk when handling it. Its safe enough once its been cleaned and back inside the case.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 6:15 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The CRM171 has no dag coating. You either have a CRM172 or a Mullard as you suggest. The label in your picture looks like a Mazda.
Worth checking to see if the tube cleaning can be carried out from the front. I can't remember! J.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 6:35 pm   #4
Ekco-Scott
Pentode

Hi John and Stephen.

I have an Ex RUC riot helmet with visor and a bullet prof vest so I have the protection down :p

John unfortunately the CRT dose need to come out as there is no way of removing the implosion screen from the front :\ the front panel of the console cabinet is one whole pice.

I would be inclined to let it be if the dirt on the faceplate, mask and implosion screen wasn't so bad :/

S
Old 29th Mar 2017, 6:46 pm   #5
Ekco-Scott
Pentode

Here are some photos of the front of the set. (the photo doesn't really show how dirty it is.)

S
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0495.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	140051   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0496.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	140052  
Old 29th Mar 2017, 7:15 pm   #6
AidanLunn
Heptode

This is all conjecture based on the assumption that the CRT doesn't come out with the chassis:

It would probably be best if you removed the chassis and anything else that could get in the way of removing the CRT first. My thinking here is to reduce the number of things you could risk bashing the CRT against when removing it, especially if it has a scratch like that.

Then lay the cabinet face down on something, unscrew the tube rimband fixings then grab the tube by the rimband fixings in the palms of your hands with your fingers on the corners of the screen. Hold on to opposite corners. Then lift out. If it won't fit through the back with the tube the way it is, lift it up about an inch or two, turn it around 90degrees then lift. You might still need to use a bit of dexterity to get it up and out.

I had to do all this when cleaning the implosion glass on my Pye CTM17T, I even had to tilt the tube neck away from me when lifting the tube out of it after I had lifted it s few inches then turned it around, as even then it was still a smidgen too wide for the opening in the back.

Hope this helps.
Old 30th Mar 2017, 4:13 pm   #7
ray4566
Diode

Hello All,
I've only just bought one of these sets and, like the Original Poster, I am going to need to remove the chassis and CRT from the Cabinet, not only to clean the CRT face and implosion glass but also in order to gain access to everything for hot troubleshooting (I plan to build a jig (as suggested elsewhere) that will support the CRT and the chassis for easy access outside the Cab whilst powered up.

However, I'm failing at the first hurdle as I cannot even seem to remove the front control knobs (Volume/Brightness and Channel). I cannot see any grub screws so I assume that they are clipped onto the shaft, however I don't want to break them through excessive force nor damage the cabinet wood through prising.

This should be so simple and intuitive, so I feel a bit daft asking but never mind, anyone know or have any tips that could help please ?

Not starting work on the electronics until I have the Service Manual, this is on order (.pdf Download from India which I'm still waiting for, hope I've not been scammed). Maybe the Service Manual will have the answer though.

thanks
Ray
(ex Co-Op, GTVR, Systime, ICM and BT, now retired)
Old 30th Mar 2017, 8:25 pm   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Remove the large retaining rings [spring off] then remove the outer part of the knobs with the writing on. The chassis can then be withdrawn from the cabinet complete with the inner part of the knobs themselves. J.
Old 30th Mar 2017, 8:27 pm   #9
Ekco-Scott
Pentode

AidanLunn

Thanks for your advice! the crt in this model is in a rather large separate Crt cradle/frame with the spot wobble circuitry fitted to the side of the cradle/frame.

From what I can see one must remove the ion trap then the cradle/frame from around the Crt as that holds the lot in. I think that then leaves the bare crt and scan coils on the mask (set face down)

ray4566 the knobs are easily removed frome the cabinet as you don't actually need to remove them completely. There is a round pice of spring steal holding the outer part of the knob. Once the outer is removed the inner part stays as the cabinet wholes are wide enough to fit through.

My plan is to remove the CRT next week the chassis is already removed for working one.

With this lot I will look like a BBC news report from the late 90s about the Belfast riots! Should be enough to protect me.

(all equipment is obsolete 1990s RUC Police riot gear)

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0499.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	140125   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0504.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	140126  
Old 30th Mar 2017, 8:28 pm   #10
Ekco-Scott
Pentode

Sorry didn't see your post there John!

S
Old 30th Mar 2017, 8:41 pm   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The CRT and the cradle come out as a whole unit. You may need a long shaft box spanner to remove the cradle 4BA nuts from their retaining spindles inside the front of the cabinet. Do not take the cradle apart! J.
Old 30th Mar 2017, 8:45 pm   #12
Ekco-Scott
Pentode

Thanks for your quick response John. Won't disassemble the cradle. It's much easier to deal with if it's all one unit anyway.

Nice bit of design
Old 30th Mar 2017, 9:02 pm   #13
ray4566
Diode

Thanks HKshort and Ekco-Scott, they both came off easily following your advice - I'm so glad I asked the question now !

regds
Ray
Old 30th Mar 2017, 9:25 pm   #14
FERNSEH
Dekatron

In the late fifties a series of articles appeared in the Practical Television magazine dedicated to replacing television tubes fitted in the most popular sets in existence in those times. I'd reckon the tube replacement notes for the Ekco T231 and TC267 will be applicable to the TCG316.

DFWB.
Old 30th Mar 2017, 9:36 pm   #15
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Scratches on tubes are often moulding marks. If it hasn't gone bang up till now, providing you don't really belt it, it won't. You would be terrified if you could see how they were handled in the factory.
Personal protection is fine, but a heavy blanket over the tube would prevent any flying glass if,,,,,,,,
Stuck coils are best tacked when its out and easy to get to.
Old 31st Mar 2017, 1:49 pm   #16
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

I wouldn't go as far to say that just because the CRT hasn't gone bang yet then it won't...

Some years ago a member here had a round 9" CRT spontaneously implode in his store room whilst nobody was there.

Just treat very carefully and take all the precautions.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...t=crt+imploded

Cheers
Old 6th Apr 2017, 6:48 pm   #17
Ekco-Scott
Pentode

Hello all.

I've got the thing out of the cabinet. I must admit that was one of the most unpleasant experiences of my life very nerve-wracking.

It is as John thought, it is a Mazda CRM172 (see below)

I'm taking a rest before I clean the mask and screens. The implosion screen is still taped to the mask at present so will need unstuck.

All the best S
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170406_182533.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	140560   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0522.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	140561  

Last edited by Ekco-Scott; 6th Apr 2017 at 6:57 pm.
Old 6th Apr 2017, 7:01 pm   #18
Ekco-Scott
Pentode

Also I should mention that a TV engineer friend of mine cut the EHT cable... I don't know what I am going to to about this.

I also just discovered that on top of said cable is an Carbon rod and it is broken in two is there anything I can do to fix/ replace this?

S
Old 6th Apr 2017, 7:17 pm   #19
Restoration73
Nonode

Thr broken rod is a Metrosil VDR and the set will work without it. A cheap source of
EHT cable is the inner polythene covered conductor from some radio coax cable e.g
RG58 (cb/ham radio type, Maplin stock I think)
Old 6th Apr 2017, 7:24 pm   #20
Ekco-Scott
Pentode

ah I was wondering as I have never had a problem with the Metrosil in my other sets. Thanks for that Restoration73
Closed Thread