UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Mar 2017, 8:38 pm   #1
DoctorWu
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips 22GF403 - any advice?

I am about to investigate one of these fine devices, which appears to work from batteries but not from the mains input. I have found the four page "service manual" but this is, shall we say, a little light on detail. Before I set about it looking for the failed thermal fuse (ever the optimist, me) I thought I would ask if anyone else had dismantled one of these, and if there are any "gotchas" to look out for.
Any suggestions welcome, it would be good to see it working again as it was a donation to a charity shop and could, I think, fetch a good price from an enthusiast. Not tempted myself as I am under strict instructions "not to bring any more clutter home".
John
Old 30th Mar 2017, 9:53 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 22GF403 - any advice?

Test the transformer windings for continuity, and the diodes for rectifying action -- they should conduct only in one direction (cathode to red probe with an analogue meter, cathode to black probe with a digital meter -- yes, really, it's a quirk of the different operating principles.) If there is a battery / mains switch (possibly operated automatically by inserting the mains lead connector) make sure it is making good contact. Replace the smoothing capacitor. A larger capacitance value will not hurt, and may reduce hum and improve low frequency performance.

If the transformer has a blown thermal fuse, and it was installed at the outside end of the winding, then it can be replaced (with one rated for the same or a lower temperature). It's a bit fiddly, but do-able with care. Douse the new thermal fuse liberally with freezer spray before soldering it, to avoid blowing it in the course of fitting it. But having said all that, order two anyway .....
Old 30th Mar 2017, 10:47 pm   #3
DoctorWu
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks, Julie, but what I really need to know is the easiest way to get to the innards! I can see how the platter comes off, but it looks as if the screws holding it all together might be the transit screws, which seem to be extremely tight, although the platter does have some bounce. As far as I can tell they may even be Left Hand Thread, I will have an exploratory poke around tomorrow.
John
Old 30th Mar 2017, 11:38 pm   #4
RojDW48
Nonode

The cartridge looks like the one in my 22GA 160/15Z and a lovely thing it is! This site - http://vintagetycoon.com/en/philips-...record-player/ - seems to indicate that yours should work on all voltages known to the civilized world! As you say - well worth a bit of careful investigation.
Old 30th Mar 2017, 11:44 pm   #5
RojDW48
Nonode

Have you looked for deep set screws under the platter? Ie - the kind of short screws hiding in deep holes in the plastic moulding under the platter and, conceivably, other areas which might locate the base to the superstructure?
Old 31st Mar 2017, 2:22 pm   #6
jamesperrett
Octode

I have a slightly newer battery only version and, as far as I can remember, there are crosspoint screws accessed from the bottom at the end of fairly deep holes. There may also be screws in the battery compartment that need to be undone - although it is many years since I last took mine apart so my memory could be wrong.
Old 31st Mar 2017, 10:44 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

I've got one of these open right now but I'm redoing the amp section. Had to remove four screws from the batt compartment to remove the panel.

To gain access to the mains area, do the following:
1. remove mat from platter
2. rotate platter so that one of the holes is at approx. 3 o'clock when viewed from the front.
3. look into the gap. You will see a thin wire/spring and an arrow embossed in the plastic.
4. Move the spring in the direction of the arrow and lift off platter.
5. Undo two recessed screws that are now accessible (flat head) . You can remove/separate the white and red housings. Take care with the arm and stylus and also the wires to amp.
HTH,
Old 1st Apr 2017, 8:54 pm   #8
DoctorWu
Retired Dormant Member

All sorted, now, with no surprises. The fuse was OK but the switch contacts were dirty and the idler wheel needed a good clean. The speed control needed adjusting so I will have to check component values have not drifted too far away from nominal values. All in all, an impressive bit of design, and hopefully it will soon have a new home!
Thanks for the suggestions,
John
Closed Thread