UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2016, 7:31 pm   #1
MarlayB
Retired Dormant Member

Default Lost sound in one speaker

Hi, I have a Ferguson 3046. I can't really find any information on it, although it looks like it is more or less the same as an HMV 2046. I think the turntable is some variant of a BSR C123. It has been working fine until recently when it lost sound in one speaker. I tried headphones and had the same problem, no sound in one ear. I figured I'd try a new cartridge, as I'd read in a few places that might be the issue, but no luck.

Just wondering if there are any suggestions on what I could try next? I've had a look around inside, and there doesn't seem to be anything obviously wrong, so it might be beyond me at this point.

Thanks for any help.
Old 21st Jul 2016, 9:32 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Lost sound in one speaker

The tests you have made so far are sensible. You could try switch spray contact cleaner on the front selector buttons, but it may be that one channel of the amplifier has failed. A common problem on units like this. What experience do you have of fault finding on this type of electronic kit? Edward
Old 21st Jul 2016, 9:45 pm   #3
MarlayB
Retired Dormant Member

On the electronic side not much unfortunately. It was seized when it was retrieved from the attic, so had it apart to clean and re-grease, but that's about it. I have a multimeter but only really use that on the car.
Old 22nd Jul 2016, 6:50 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

If your meter has an AC voltage range you could check the affected side at its input and at the speaker etc. Don't suppose you can't play a record whilst apart so you could try gently scratching the needle with a finger whilst probing the circuit. Clip the black lead to an earth point and probe with the red. If you post some pics we can tell you were to look.

Andy.
Old 22nd Jul 2016, 7:02 pm   #5
MarlayB
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, not sure if these pictures will help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160722_184029851_HDR.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	127739   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160722_184059002.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	127740  
Old 23rd Jul 2016, 7:49 am   #6
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Well, for starters you could swap the two plugs on the underside of the deck, left for right, and see if the fault changes sides.
Old 23rd Jul 2016, 8:25 am   #7
MarlayB
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks. Although having taken some pictures and put it back together now the other channel is also on the way out. There's still something coming through, but there's a loud hum and its very distorted.
Old 23rd Jul 2016, 10:33 am   #8
Silicon
Nonode

If you do a google search for 'HMV 2046' you will find a listing for a post on this web site dated 17th April 2010.

It has the schematic and other information.

If you put your finger on the wiper connection of the volume controls ( try both left and right channel) you should hear a hum noise in the relevant loudspeaker.

It now seems to be getting worse. It could be a biasing problem or faulty capacitors.

Last edited by Silicon; 23rd Jul 2016 at 10:40 am. Reason: Crossed with previous post no 7.
Old 23rd Jul 2016, 2:56 pm   #9
AC/HL
Dekatron

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=53096
Closed Thread