UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2014, 1:14 pm   #21
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Regentone 17-18

The Aurora converter will supply your set with a proper broadcast quality 405 signal, that's how good it is.
With very few exceptions nearly all of those sixties and seventies made cross-hatch and pattern generators never supplied the correct sync pulse waveform.
The frame sync was usually a single broad pulse. There was no frame divider circuits so there was never the correct relationship between the line and frame syncs. Hence, no interlace. Even the excellent 1970s Philips PM5509 PAL pattern generator supplied only a single broad frame sync pulse.
Another advantage with the Aurora is the modulated output is available on all Band 1 and Band 3 channels, 1 thru to 13. All this means that you are not committed to one system A channel.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you connect up the Aurora to the Regentone TV. No crude cross-hatch patterns either, a real test card C.

DFWB.
Old 21st Sep 2014, 2:02 pm   #22
regentone001
Heptode

Thanks Fernseh
I am looking forward to seeing the testcard on this set again. I do remember how good the picture quality was on the Tenxxx series. Though the printed circuit boards were always a swine This one you only have to wave a soldering iron near it and the print lifts. I do remember one Ten 17 we picked up having a big hole burned in it and hard wiring across it. We picked it up at the local tip plugged it in and away it went working extremely well. AAAAAAh youth when nothing scared us even taking bare crts on the bus.
I also remember the test card previous to the C,a circle with wing like things on either side. Does anyone have a picture of it I wonder?

Steve
Old 21st Sep 2014, 2:10 pm   #23
Tazman1966
Nonode

Do you mean this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WAVY1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	97847  
Old 21st Sep 2014, 2:19 pm   #24
regentone001
Heptode

Hi Tazman
I remember that one too but its not the one I am thinking of.

Steve
Old 21st Sep 2014, 2:43 pm   #25
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The "Angel Wings" tuning signal.

You'll find it here:

http://www.meldrum.co.uk/mhp/testcard/bbc_tune.html

Just scroll down to the bottom of the page.

DFWB.
Old 21st Sep 2014, 3:14 pm   #26
regentone001
Heptode

Hi Fernseh
yep thats the one I can remember seeing that on our first tv my grandfathers PYE 9inch console that we inherited when he bought a new tv with turret tuner for the start of ITV

Steve
Old 22nd Sep 2014, 2:30 pm   #27
regentone001
Heptode

Hi Guys
you are absolutely right!!!!!!!!!!
YEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAW The aurora arrived today so I was straight down to Maplins for a power supply and the leads to connect it up and WOW I was blown away with the results.
Tuned to channel 8, which was the ITV channel here it took me back years.
The only downside is very low sound but I have probably upset something when working on the set but I am over the moon with the picture. I never imagined I would get to see a set like this working again. And the only reason for the darkened room was because I was shooting towards the windows and the light was playing havoc with the camera
Those Mullard tubes really are good even after 50 years

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1156.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	97896   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1157.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	97897  
Old 22nd Sep 2014, 3:37 pm   #28
Freya
Octode

You may find the preset sound control on the aurora is a little low ?
Old 22nd Sep 2014, 3:49 pm   #29
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Looks great. Check the Aurora output as Stephen has suggested, then recheck your sound IF alignment. The vision looks fine. Check also the sound detector diode. These are often found to be O/C or leaky after all these years. John.
Old 22nd Sep 2014, 8:27 pm   #30
regentone001
Heptode

thanks guys
there are two OA81s in the sound discriminator what could I use as substitutes?
I am almost certain the tuner has been played with as I can only get a very faint broken up picture on any of the band 1 channels but the band 2 work fine at least for vision
thanks
Steve
Old 22nd Sep 2014, 9:19 pm   #31
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Check them with your meter for forward/back resistance first. Any small crystal diode will suffice. OA90/91 may be easy to locate but there are many others. J.
Old 23rd Sep 2014, 1:08 pm   #32
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Circuit diagram of the sound section of the Regentone 17-18.

I'd be surprised if the OA81 diodes are faulty.
There are a few components that might need checking and replacing.
Measure the negative volts present across the detector diode load resistor, I'd reckon there should be more than two volts across R85 when a signal is suppied to the set. Check C66 for leaks. Resistor R82 (1.2Megohms) and R83 (1.8Megohms) can go high value or OC. Check the value of V10T anode load resistor R79 (220Kohms) it's another resistor that can go high. Also the screen feed resistor to V10P R78 (12K)
Coupling capacitor C61 (0.01mfd) should be checked.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Regentone17_1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	97931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Regentone17_2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	97932  
Old 24th Sep 2014, 8:56 pm   #33
regentone001
Heptode

Hi Guys
we have sound!!!!!!!! C64 0.01 had gone o/c. At first I was baffled why I was getting the tone with the test card but on applying a signal I was only getting video until I put my brain cell to use and realised I hadn't plugged the sound cables in to the aurora from the dvd. Derrrrrrrrrrr my brain hurts.
It does swim very very slightly so I will try upping the smoothing a bit and hopefully that will work. It's not noticeable on a moving pic but it is on the test card.
Now I am looking forward to getting my hands on the Ten - 6FM and getting that working too but have to wait until my partner gets back from the States and we can hire a car

Steve
Old 23rd Oct 2014, 3:50 pm   #34
regentone001
Heptode

H guys
having soak tested the set for a few week it developed a frame jitter and the occasional roll. I changed the valves but to no effect. Then I noticed that the frame hold control,and also the line hold control, felt a bit notchy. so with a bit of difficulty I managed to get some switch cleaner in and, touch wood,that seems to have cleared the fault.
Other than that the set has given great results and the picture is stunning. Amazing for a set that is 54 years old.
Steve
Old 17th Mar 2015, 8:47 am   #35
regentone001
Heptode

Having used this set now for quite some time it developed a focus fault jumping in and out of focus. I decided to clean the focus control which is mounted on the tube base. I took the tube base off cleaned the control and found that the lead to pin 3 of the crt was dry jointed so resoldered it. Put it back on the crt and switched on low height and a very dark picture appeared. I am wondering what could cause this? I think it maybe lack of boost voltage but would appreciate any advice.
Thanks
Steve
Old 17th Mar 2015, 11:04 am   #36
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

At a guess I would say that the focus control has reduced in value starving the boost rail. It may have been disconnected for a long time. It is not required and can be removed completely. [Same fault with Philips 17TG100U] AW43-88 tubes will focus with almost any or little voltage on the focus electrode. A connection can be made from pin 4 the focus electrode to pin 3 or the earth end of the heater, which ever gives the best focus.
What is the voltage on the hot end of the focus control? [The boost rail] and does it rise when you disconnect the control? J.
Old 17th Mar 2015, 9:05 pm   #37
regentone001
Heptode

Hi
You hit the nail right on the head. I disconnected the focus control and hey presto full scan and a bright picture and as you say its in focus.
Thanks
Old 17th Mar 2015, 9:09 pm   #38
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Do not leave the focus pin 'floating'. Connect a jump wire from pin 4 as suggested to either pin 3 [anode 1] or the earth pin of the heater. J.
Old 17th Mar 2015, 10:18 pm   #39
regentone001
Heptode

ok will do thanks
Closed Thread