UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2012, 8:59 pm   #1
markg1409
Retired Dormant Member

Default Faulty Stereosound Record Player

Hi folks. This is my first post but site looks really useful for someone just getting into vintage audio. Hope someone can help me with these problems:

I've just acquired a Stereosound Dynamic 88 record player. Its not a brand I'm familiar with but it seems to be a reasonable quality item. It's got a Garrard 2025TC deck in it. The sound is reasonable but I think it is supposed to be better.

I've got it hooked up to a nice pair of B&O speakers to give it a good chance. Basically with the balance control set to left or right the sound out of the one channel is great however with the balance control in its normal position the bass is almost defeated and the sound is quite tinny.

The second problem is with the record deck. Playing an LP it got to the last track and then started to jump. With the arm raised there was resistance when trying to move the arm towards the centre. I can only find one adjustment which is a front facing grub screw. With a couple of turns on this the arm can move further towards the centre but again reaches a point of resistance and in making this adjustment it is unable to move right back to the left - it just about reaches the rest but that's it. I cannot see any other adjustment. Also I assume the arm should auto return but it doesn't. It won't auto play either. There is a central auto change spindle which makes me think it should do these things. This spindle is not permanent - it's sat in a clip at the side of the deck and there is a standard spindle fitted. No idea how to change them if I ever fancied several hours of auto play vinyl though.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 11th Sep 2012, 9:25 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Welcome, Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg1409 View Post
Basically with the balance control set to left or right the sound out of the one channel is great however with the balance control in its normal position the bass is almost defeated and the sound is quite tinny.
Is the phase of the speakers correct, i.e. + and - the same way round for both left and right speakers?

Quote:
Playing an LP it got to the last track and then started to jump. With the arm raised there was resistance when trying to move the arm towards the centre.
This is a classic symptom of the trip pawl sticking. Search this forum for solutions. It will take you less than half an hour to sort out, tops.

Quote:
There is a central auto change spindle which makes me think it should do these things. This spindle is not permanent - it's sat in a clip at the side of the deck and there is a standard spindle fitted. No idea how to change them if I ever fancied several hours of auto play vinyl though.
You simply pull one out, and push the other in. The auto one has to be orientated correctly to lock into place and work.
Old 11th Sep 2012, 11:19 pm   #3
markg1409
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Faulty Stereosound Record Player

Thanks Nickthedentist. The speaker phase was the problem - now sounds pretty decent and I've learned something. I'll have a look at the trip trawl tomorrow. The spindle however is well and truly stuck. Should it just pull out?
Old 12th Sep 2012, 12:01 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Faulty Stereosound Record Player

Glad it was that easy!

Quote:
The spindle however is well and truly stuck. Should it just pull out?
Yes it should. Try dripping a few drops of penetrating oil (or a very sparing squirt of WD40) around it, leave overnight, and try again. Warming with a hairdryer can help too. Post a pic if you're unsure - I'd hate to mislead you.
Closed Thread