UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2017, 6:41 pm   #21
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: New 'Telephone' TV Programme On BBC 4

Thanks for the Trumpton update Bobster. That episode doesn't ring a bell (muffled laughter) with me. It was a long time ago though. I will try and find the episode. It must be out there on the interweb somewhere.
Alan.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 8:31 pm   #22
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default Re: New 'Telephone' TV Programme On BBC 4 Tonight !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
I was present at the changeover of the last one - a tiny 20 line 'Island Automatic eXchange No 5 - on the evening of 12th July on a tiny island 25+ miles out in the Atlantic to the west of the Shetland Islands - so remote that all calls in to/out of the island were trunk calls.
I'll see you Foula and raise you Canna
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 1:35 am   #23
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Thanks for the Trumpton update Bobster. That episode doesn't ring a bell (muffled laughter) with me. It was a long time ago though. I will try and find the episode. It must be out there on the interweb somewhere.
See http://tinyurl.com/Trumpton-Telephones

Those engineers on Faults - 191 play that song on CNet !!
Old 24th Apr 2017, 10:22 am   #24
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Brilliant that episode of 'Trumpton' so typical of the GPO era, three digit numbers and no 'elf and safety. Strange that the mayor couldn't hear anyone because of the crackle on the line and yet heard the engineer heard him OK.

Peter
Old 24th Apr 2017, 5:29 pm   #25
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Just like real life then! Ah, the customer is always right (well sometimes anyway). Thanks for the link Pellseinydd.
Old 24th Apr 2017, 7:30 pm   #26
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
Brilliant that episode of 'Trumpton' so typical of the GPO era, three digit numbers and no 'elf and safety. Strange that the mayor couldn't hear anyone because of the crackle on the line and yet heard the engineer heard him OK.
Perhaps the crackle was on the E side and the egnineer was speaking on the D side.
Old 25th Apr 2017, 9:23 am   #27
Peter.N.
Dekatron

They didn't explain that.

Peter
Old 26th Apr 2017, 8:17 am   #28
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

I think we can excuse Trumpton skirting around in-depth technical explanations of Primary Connection Points.
Old 26th Apr 2017, 3:39 pm   #29
Oldcodger
Nonode

Pellseindd- remember the UAX series- UAX 5/12/13 .Perhaps you might also remember the Co ax link from Oban and Carlisle to the International exchange in LONDON.
Old 26th Apr 2017, 3:50 pm   #30
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFoxtrot View Post
Quote:
Perhaps the crackle was on the E side and the egnineer was speaking on the D side.
I prefer my BT engineers to have gotten the name "Engineer " by training ,rather than as a name
Some of those appearing at my house need (IMHO) A lot of training. I say that as a GPO trained 50 years old trained bloke.
It shocks a lot of blokes turning up to a fault in my house that I'm possibly technically their superior.
Just HOW can an old 70year old CODGER know so much about telecomms, or even electronics s or even computing, unless the bloke had studied the subject.

Last edited by Oldcodger; 26th Apr 2017 at 3:55 pm.
Old 26th Apr 2017, 5:52 pm   #31
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
Pellseindd- remember the UAX series- UAX 5/12/13 .Perhaps you might also remember the Co ax link from Oban and Carlisle to the International exchange in LONDON.
Last time I saw that one was when I called in at Beattock Exchange/Repeater Station http://tinyurl.com/BeattockExch-RepeaterStation on the day of the so called 'Last EM Exchange' at Crawford 23rd June 1995. What a display of the lead covered cables fanning out on the ground floor and making their way up the wall to the repeater station on the first floor. They all had little lead plaques with cable details, date and names of the jointers who had installed them stamped on them. Last time at Oban Repeater Station http://tinyurl.com/ObanTransAtlanticRStn twenty years ago - all was empty and derelict having closed in 1978
Old 26th Apr 2017, 6:05 pm   #32
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFoxtrot View Post
Quote:
I prefer my BT engineers to have gotten the name "Engineer " by training ,rather than as a name
Some of those appearing at my house need (IMHO) A lot of training. I say that as a GPO trained 50 years old trained bloke.
It shocks a lot of blokes turning up to a fault in my house that I'm possibly technically their superior.
Just HOW can an old 70year old CODGER know so much about telecomms, or even electronics s or even computing, unless the bloke had studied the subject.
I find a similar thing happens. Last time I had moved a friends PABX and we needed the dropwire feeds moving. Attitude was 'he can't know much' but from my use of terminology, they (cleverly!) deduced I might have worked for 'the Firm' - so they asked? I started off explaining it was a bit of a hobby but I had worked for 'them' ('Gods Poor Orphans') for a while -having started off as an apprentice and reached the dizzy heights of a TO when I was 19. Got fed up after ten years working deep underground so left and went commissioning TXE2s for the Post Office Telephones and was Senior Commissioning Engineer on the first TXE4 - at that time one of the most advanced exchanges in the world. Funny how their attitude changed especially when their manager turned up and started addressing me by my first name! He had visited the place I looked after as a TO when he was an apprentice many years before. All good fun! Now just 'play' with modern and vintage systems.
Old 27th Apr 2017, 2:31 pm   #33
Oldcodger
Nonode

Brings back memories of my first days with the Overhead Squad.
Closed Thread