UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2005, 8:07 pm   #1
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Bush TR130

I have the trader sheet for this radio but does anyone have the pucka Bush data for it ? In particular I'm hoping there will be a component layout diagram shown from the PCB track side - trying to work out the tracks is a major league pain in the wotsit

TTFN,
Jon
Old 15th May 2005, 8:21 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Bush TR130

Hi Jon,

See www.service-data.com - it's on volume 4

Since it's you, I'll email you a copy!

Paul.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 15th May 2005, 9:15 pm   #3
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Thanks Paul,

Just glad it wasn't the sheet on Vol 1 as I have torn the house apart looking for it !

BTW, mine has a black case yet every one I can find on the web is tan !? Looks original though. I can imagine these cases get damaged easilly as those plastic clips don't inspire much confidence.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 15th May 2005, 9:43 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I had a TR130 which took a tumble from a shelf that broke the clips. I also bought one on eBay with broken clips, so they are certainly a weak point.

I think the Murphy version came in a black case. Maybe yours has been made up from the bits of two sets? I haven't seen any black Bush ones, but I'm sure one of our resident Bush experts will be along presently to clarify this.

I have one of the Murphy ones here, in rather rough condition (it was unsold on the BVWS bargain stall at the NVCF). I don't know if it works, but let me know if you need any parts or even a complete chassis.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 15th May 2005, 10:21 pm   #5
Sam
Hexode

Talking of the black Murphy variants, I've just bought this!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I thought it looked rather like a TR130, but I think it may have VHF on it, as it definitely has three tuning scales. I thought the TR130 was a LW/MW set. Ah well, it looks good from the poor photos!

Don't care if I've been had either!

Sam
Old 15th May 2005, 10:35 pm   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

The TR130 was commonly either black or tan. Originally only the tan versions had 'Caroline' on the tuning scale, but black 'Carolines' do turn up - presumably with swapped cases, chassis or tuning scales.

Last year I sold a TR130 with a dark green case, like sage green. Understandably, there was much banter as to its originality. However, I have also owned a Murphy B818 in exactly the same shade of green and I have seen others so know the green Murphy is genuine. I have seen the B818 in both black and green, likewise with the similar B816 ( the former did not have 'Caroline' but many of the latter did ).

Those damn clips in the TR130s case are a major weak point. Murphy had a better idea, using steel spring clips which clipped onto sturdy 'dovetails' moulded into the case sections. The B818, at least, also had a chromed baseplate, as against the plastic effort of the TR130. Although the Bush and Murphy chassis were similar, cabinet parts were not interchangeable due to small dimensional differences.

Of the other Bush versions, the TR230 came in black, tan and ( so I believe ) red although I've not seen a red one. The rarer and more collectable VTR330 only came in black, so far as I'm aware.

Not very service data-ish so I'd best leave it there.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 15th May 2005 at 10:37 pm. Reason: spelling error.
Old 16th May 2005, 1:08 am   #7
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Hi all.

Darren's right, there are plenty of black TR130s around as well as the tan ones which are probably a little more common. Dark green is new to me, but I do have a bright red TR130 which I'm sure is in its original state. I think there was a red one on eBay not so long ago.

I've seen quite a few Murphy B818s, but so far as I can recall they've thus far all been pale grey.

I would guess that Sam's set is the Murphy equivalent of the TR230: my guess isn't worth much as I don't know the 230 at all well. What I am pretty sure of, though, is that its third scale isn't a VHF one but, as with the 130, the familiar "Luxembourg bandspread".

Paul
Old 16th May 2005, 8:41 am   #8
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Hi All,

I bought mine at Drayton Manor yesterday for a tenner (despite swearing I'd never buy another AF117-based set EVER!). It was in such mint condition I insisted the guy unwrapped it so I could look inside in case it was a modern repro !

Looking at it last night, the bits that fold over to keep the trim in place look undisturbed, and the tuning scale looks like it has an elongated version of the Bush tree on the left, so I'm reasonably sure it is original.

Looking at the pucka Bush manual - thanks Paul ! - it definately says it has a Luxomberg button, but it is really is bandspread. The set itself gives a thump from the speaker but otherwise silence (not even when sticking finger on the volume) so I'm assuming it's probably a duff driver. However the components are so bunched up in that area that it is almost impossible to follow connections (especially with a PP9 hanging off, as well as a speaker connected by the thinest wire I've seen in a very long time!) so the pucka manual's PCB track layout really is required.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 16th May 2005, 11:04 am   #9
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

TR's 130 and 230 differed in that the latter was aligned for R1 on 247m. VHF didn't appear until the release of the VTR330.

Jon ....... All I have regarding original service data is that for the Murphy B846. The PCB on this model was similar to the TR130. Would that be any help if I scanned it for you ?

Last edited by Darren-UK; 16th May 2005 at 11:15 am. Reason: Added the bit about Murphy B846.
Old 16th May 2005, 12:42 pm   #10
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Thanks Darren, but Paul Stenning has kindly supplied the pucka Bush manual. As well as providing the PCB track/layout it also gives the battery consumption ... I'm pretty sure mine has a duff audio section so if the consumption seems reasonable (15mA to 25mA for those who only have the Trader) then the finger points to the vicinity of the OC71 or OC81D. With that sorted I'll then find out just how many of those poxy AF117's are duff.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 16th May 2005, 1:57 pm   #11
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

so the pucka manual's PCB track layout really is required.

My apologies, I'd misunderstood your words above ...... taking it that you still needed a pcb layout.
Old 17th May 2005, 1:43 am   #12
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Hi John
With most of these sets the audio output stage produces quite a high level of background hiss. So switch on and leave it running for 20-30 mins. If you don't hear any hiss then you probably have got a faulty output stage. If you have got a the normal sort of hiss level from the speaker then odds on the fault will be down to one of our accident prone four legged friends.
Some friends of mine had the dark green version, but these like red are rather scarce these days. I have also recently bought off ebay a pukka service manual for the TR130 but it must be a later version as there is no Bandspread but just third button tuned to Luxembourg on 208m.
As for the state of the cabinets I refer you to the recent repairs sections of the main forum.
Whilst I am writing this I have my TR130 tuned into the new Big L on 1395Khz, it sounds very good and reminds me slightly of times past listening to the real Big L which we all now was on 208m!
Old 17th May 2005, 4:40 pm   #13
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies
Whilst I am writing this I have my TR130 tuned into the new Big L on 1395Khz, it sounds very good and reminds me slightly of times past listening to the real Big L which we all now was on 208m!
Um??

Wasn't the proper Big L on 266m? Surely it was Luxembourg on 208m.

Rich.
Old 18th May 2005, 12:28 am   #14
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Hi Rich
Back in the 1970's when most of the pirates had gone some of the DJ's on Radio Luxembourg called it the big L on 208.
Back to present times my TR130 is once again bashing out todays Big L on 1395Khz.
Old 21st Jun 2006, 10:11 pm   #15
Barnmead
Pentode

I have a tan TR130 with bandspread with BBC3 West and Luxemburg on the scale. It works fine on MW and LW but Bandspread is very quiet. I have Paul's volume 1 and now Volume 4, but the details in both seem to be for the 208 version which has simpler switch connections. Has anybody else solved this problem or have details of the switch connections?
Old 27th Jun 2006, 12:02 am   #16
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

I have got somewhere the correct cct diagram for the 3 band version (Long Medium and Bandspread) it was from either the 1965-66 or 1966-67 Newnes service information books. This is what I used when I repaired my Bush TR130.Unfortunately since moving into this house I have misplaced this volume and are in the same boat as everyone else.
If your bandspread band is quiet I suppose it could be a switch problem, a faulty capacitor or faulty trimmer especially if reception of the HF end of the medium wave band is ok.
If I do come across the Newnes book I will give you a shout. Local referance libraries use to keep them but I am not sure about this today.
Closed Thread