UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2016, 9:39 am   #1
SeanStevens
Octode

Default BIB Groove-Kleen

I was given an incomplete BIB Groove-klean last night

like this: http://www.ybaaudio.co.uk/product/groove-kleen-bib/

It is missing the little brush at the front (they went missing for a Pastime). Has anybody got any idea what I could fabricate one out of?

It is also missing the stand (I know - I have not got much of the thing!), but I think I can fabricate something for that...

SEAN
Old 4th Mar 2016, 10:06 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: BIB Groove-Clean

Use the end part of a Ladies eyeliner brush. If can fabricate a stand that's good, but you will most certainly need the little counterweight. Edward
Old 4th Mar 2016, 10:31 am   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

An artist's paint brush. You can types that have stiffer bristles, whatever you want.
Old 4th Mar 2016, 10:32 am   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

A troll around camera and makeup departments on Amazon/Ebay may turn up something suitable. Possibly cut down an artist's paintbrush?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Mar 2016, 11:25 am   #5
SeanStevens
Octode

Good thinking all - yeah a kiddies paint brush might be good (with fine nylon rather than real hair)

I have the entire arm and weight - so with a lead filled wooden cotton reel and some stick-back plastic...

SEAN
Old 4th Mar 2016, 1:58 pm   #6
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanStevens View Post
I was given an incomplete BIB Groove-klean last night
I have a spare stand for one of these and am pretty sure I have some spare brushes, too.

Send me a PM with your address and I'll pop them into the post for you.
Old 4th Mar 2016, 2:03 pm   #7

I bought on of these in my teens (1975 ish), didn't make a lot of difference to a clean or dirty record.

Old 4th Mar 2016, 2:12 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The velvet roller cleans it, the brush tip acts more as a groove guide around the record whilst it plays. They look the part, but only have a moderate affect and can slow down the turntable's speed. Edward
Old 4th Mar 2016, 3:35 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I have to say that I find these (and their similar cousins from other manufacturers e.g. Cecil Watts) invaluable for removing dust from basically-clean records. They won't, of course, remove mould, grubby fingermarks and so on.

The speed reduction because of drag is negligble on all machines I've tried them on, and I'm fussy (and have "absolute pitch"), though they would certainly have an effect on machines with marginal torque.

I use mine daily.

Wasn't "Bib" a brand name coined by Richard Arbib?

N.
Old 4th Mar 2016, 5:20 pm   #10
bikerhifinut
Octode

Yes it was Nick. I believe for the nifty tape Splicer he designed that could be mounted on something like a Ferrograph recorder. He was of course the owner of Ersin solder of "multicore" fame.
Andy
Old 4th Mar 2016, 5:25 pm   #11
bikerhifinut
Octode

Personally i found these devices and the similar cecil watts "dust bug" to be a waste of time, they are no more effective than a careful wipe with an antistatic brush such as the "groov kleen" as far as I am concerned. And on quiet passages it was often possible to hear the dratted thing "playing" the grooves it was in.
Bit of a "Marmite" Accessory I think.

Mr Grumpy.
Old 4th Mar 2016, 5:42 pm   #12
sp10mk11
Octode

I have never found them to be excellent, but as an accessory I think they are fine but I would not use one.
Gary
Old 4th Mar 2016, 5:49 pm   #13
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, if the groove tracing brush is too stiff you can hear a kind of "stylus chatter". Edward
Old 4th Mar 2016, 6:39 pm   #14
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I have had a Cecil Watts 'Dust Bug' for many years, and find that, to use a popular expression 'it does what it says on the tin' -i.e. removes dust from records, which it was all it was intended to do. I used to have a 'Groove-Clean', but don't know what became of it. Speaking of disc cleaning devices, anyone remember the 'Emitex' cleaning cloths?
Old 4th Mar 2016, 6:58 pm   #15
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
Speaking of disc cleaning devices, anyone remember the 'Emitex' cleaning cloths?
Still got one!

Barry
Old 4th Mar 2016, 7:17 pm   #16
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

AFAIK, Emitex cloths are identical to the Calotherm cloths provided for cleaning spectacles. I think they are impregnated with something, which I wouldn't really want deposited on my records. A microfibre cloth would probably work at least as well these days.
Old 4th Mar 2016, 7:20 pm   #17
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I had an Emitex one, I think, but the foam backing turned into dust and the velvety top layer was too contaminated to use after that.
Old 4th Mar 2016, 8:39 pm   #18
ITAM805
Nonode

I had a 'Dust Bug' on my GL75 in days of yore and I remember that it was quite effective. It was stuck firmly to the deck and went with it when I sold it on. The brush part had quite stiff fibres, used to stop it skating off all over the place, the roller was the duster part.

I ended up with a 'Bib' dust collecting thingy brush, it was synthetic maroon velvet in a clear gold and perpex case - quality . That worked well, better than the bug I seem to remember.
Old 4th Mar 2016, 8:54 pm   #19
LeakyGrid
Rest in Peace

I used a Bib cleaner a long time ago. All I can find at the moment is a stand, but I may have a few more bits and pieces. I'd be happy to post them to you, but it will not be until Wednesday or Thursday next week.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160304_001.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	121047  
Old 4th Mar 2016, 9:38 pm   #20
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The 'Dust Bug' to which I referred in post # 13 is actually a tube about 1" diameter x 3" long, covered in a velvety material. Inside is a 'wick', which occasionally has to be damped with a small amount of water. By holding it in close contact with a record's surface whilst it is rotating, dust is picked up. My cleaner came from World Record Club more than 50 years ago, and is actually called a 'Parostatik Disc Preener' According to the label it 'promotes perfect record maintenance'!, to which all I can add is that I still have records as old, or older, than the 'disc preener', which have been cleaned with it many times, and they still sound good today, so there must be some truth in Cecil Watts claims! Does anyone still make a similar product, I wonder?
Closed Thread