UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2017, 3:48 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Unusual time switch.

Hi,
I can't remember if I've posted this before. Apologies if I have.
I found this unusual 1973 clockwork Landis & Gyr time switch a few years ago, and recently unearthed it again.
It has three dials, two of which move in unison over 24 hours, and the third, rear, dial is geared down and moves in a weekly cycle. The middle dial has double cams so that it operates the two centre switches at the same time. There are three change-over switches and the fourth switch, at the front, is simply on or off. All the contacts are rated at 2 amps 400 volts max.
The weekly dial changes over the rearmost switch at midnight Saturday, and back again at midnight Sunday so, it seems, that it runs a different 'programme' for Sunday compared to the rest of the week. Most of the cams are two hours apart.
The clock spring is kept wound by an electric motor (220 or 110 volts 50Hz) via a cam operating a microswitch at the rear.
I'm just curious as to what it might be used for, as it seems more than just a lighting controller. Heating, maybe?
I'll wire it up to some lamps so I can monitor its routine when I get a minute.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Odd timer (12).jpg
Views:	212
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	145846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Odd timer (11).jpg
Views:	269
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	145847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Odd timer (8).jpg
Views:	232
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	145848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Odd timer (10).jpg
Views:	223
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	145849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Odd timer (6).jpg
Views:	202
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	145850  

Old 8th Jul 2017, 4:55 pm   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Unusual time switch.

Usually a shop sign switch, off all Sunday or similar use. So its a 6/1 day-week time switch.
Old 8th Jul 2017, 10:17 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Unusual time switch.

Hi Sam,
That thought crossed my mind too, but it looks far too well engineered just to operate a shop sign.
I'm wondering if it's more something to do with electricity metering in a substation or power station environment.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 9th Jul 2017, 12:07 am   #4
broadgage
Nonode

Whilst it might be for a shop sign, most such signs use more than 2 amps and would therefore require the additional expense and complication of a contactor.
Shop signs IME were commonly switched by Sangamo round pattern time switches, with a day omitting device.

I think that this item might be for off peak metering, perhaps to offer a lower price not only overnight but all day on Sunday when demand is less.

The modest rating of the contacts would be fine for controlling metering equipment. If it was also used to control the load, then this was probably dozens of amps and would require contactors in any case, unlike say a shop sign that could be controlled by 15 or 20 amp Sangamo time switches.

Depending on the exact layout and what adjustments were available, it might have given 3 tariffs rather than 2.
Old 9th Jul 2017, 8:24 am   #5
JacKam_
Pentode

I guess you can move the dials manually and determine times for ON and OFF.
So who would want to turn something ON before 6pm and OFF after 8pm ?

Thank you. Jacek
Old 10th Jul 2017, 9:31 pm   #6
matthewhouse
Octode

IIRC A local church has a similar style of of timeclock controlling the dual tariff meter, it sets the low rate 00:00-07:00 Monday to Friday, and all day Saturday and Sunday. That one only has 2 dials though. A motor winds up a spring which runs the clock during a power cut.
Old 11th Jul 2017, 4:06 pm   #7
thermionic
Heptode

Quote:
IIRC A local church has a similar style of of timeclock controlling the dual tariff meter, it sets the low rate 00:00-07:00 Monday to Friday, and all day Saturday and Sunday......
This tariff used to be referred to as the 'Church Tarriff'. It was officially referred to as 'Economy 7 night & day'.

Simon.