UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2017, 4:45 pm   #1
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default VCR to PC using EasyCap adapter .

Got a few old videos ,which are of sentimental value. Not so long ago I had no problems using an old video camera to PC via this EasyCap adapter ( composite video,CVBS,+Audio to USB) so thought I'd try to download Video to PC. ( Video to TV, via a multi socket Scart adapter linking the outputs, one of which is sent via a scart breakout lead to Easy Cap adapter).
All I get are lines in the monitor ,with no sound. Various options on file format, but no picture on any.
Any suggestions as to whether this is possible, or if possible ,any pointersin right direction ?
Old 17th May 2017, 5:10 pm   #2
AidanLunn
Heptode

Default Re: VCR to PC using EasyCap adapter .

If you're using Windows, uninstalling the graphics card driver in Device Manager then rebooting the PC may fix the issue?

Also, have you tested it on another PC, as the capture device itself may be seeing those lines from the VCR?

Finally, have you made sure that the video tapes you're using don't have Macrovision copy protection on them?
Old 18th May 2017, 11:26 pm   #3
Oldcodger
Nonode

Thanks for the reply.
Going in reverse- pretty certain that there's no copy protection on tape- first one was a home video , made for my cousin .
Haven't got another PC to test capture device( Easycap ) on, but I had no problems with video from an old camera,designed to work with VCR.
Have yet to try the graphics card adapter . Next stage. Suspect problem lies in finding the correct file version and various other parameter adjustments.
Old 19th May 2017, 12:11 am   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Why connect the video to the TV, can you not connect it straight in the capture device?

I did this a few years ago, VCR to adapter to USB on the PC, this worked well. The software I used monitored the output on the PC while recording.

Does the adapter have its own decoder or it is relying on the PC to perform that function with the adapter just converting the video to a USB compatible stream. I found the hardware decoder much more reliable on poor video than the software type.

Frank
Old 19th May 2017, 12:29 am   #5
Grubhead
Heptode

It sounds to me like the device settings or video driver settings.
You have to look at the device settings to make certain it is on video composite and not for example S-Video. It will also be the same for the audio.
I have done a guide on my blog that shows how to edit music videos. It has a section on recording from VHS too. You might find it helpful too.
Music Video Editing
Old 20th May 2017, 12:09 am   #6
Oldcodger
Nonode

Thanks, mate- I'll have a look.
Old 7th Aug 2017, 2:08 pm   #7
Gulliver
Hexode

I regularly use an EascCap device to transfer composite video into my PC, usually from old camcorder and VHS cassettes but sometimes current broadcasts. Never had any issues.

It sounds like you're using some kind of breakout box to connect the VCR to the TV and the EasyCap? That seems a but unnecessary.
Old 8th Aug 2017, 10:45 pm   #8
Oldcodger
Nonode

I haven't had time /space to go forward on this, but I've found that the software only works on XP ,and when installing it again, I found a setting I'd missed- type of VCR SIGNAL( PAL/NTSC) which I'd missed on initial install. Default ( which I'd possibly missed) was NTSC).
Reason for the breakout box- to let me see when to start /stop record on PC software. Once all works, and I can track the signal on PC, the breakout and TV will be redundant, but for now, it's a form of monitoring.
Closed Thread