UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Apr 2014, 6:19 pm   #21
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: Electricity Board's LOGOs

"Neeb's the name of the shop where the window shoppers stop" sang, who I think may have been David Dundas in 1976-77 Tyne Tees Television and Radio advertisments. The classic spiral NEEB logo flashed at the end of the advert serving a good test for TV EHT regulation!

Although dated by the 1980s, many shops adopted the wording in orange with simple lower case lettering with no logo, yet the classic logo was maintained on vans and bills well into 1989 in white on bright orange vans. Then came privatisation and the inevitable name change to Northern Electric...............

The "NEEB" spiral logo branding, one of the best logo designs ever in my opinion, appeared on 13A plugs and appliances such as fridges. By the mid 1970s the "Electra" brand was used on appliances as probably was the case in other areas, as "The Electricity Board's Own Brand".

Regarding MANWEB one of their vans can be seen on the "Boys From The Blackstuff" episode "Yossor's Story".

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NEEB logo.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	92110  

Last edited by Focus Diode; 28th Apr 2014 at 6:27 pm.
Old 28th Apr 2014, 6:54 pm   #22
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

This is the old Yorkshire Electricity Board logo. The one in Post 17 is the post-privatisation Yorkshire Electricity PLC one.

- Joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	YEB.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	92113  
Old 2nd May 2014, 9:30 pm   #23
oldmoley1
Tetrode

When I lived in Essex as a child, the Eastern Electricity Board traded as "Easelec" and most of their products, including plugs, were marked as such.
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:41 am   #24
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
The electricity boards ran their own shops and would have sold branded plugs there. I certainly remember Midlands Electricity Board (MEB) and North Western Electricity Board (Norweb) plugs being sold, so I imagine it was the same everywhere.
Wasn't LEC one of those?

I have one of those SWEB plugs on an OLD electric blanket somewhere. I think they were made by Ediswan.
Old 6th May 2014, 12:35 pm   #25
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

I'm not terribly sure but I think LEC (London Electrical Company) didn't have anything to do with the electricity board. Are they not still going? they were a few years ago.

Cheers
Old 6th May 2014, 6:40 pm   #26
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I'm more familiar with "Lec" as a brand for fridges etc - wholly separate from the electricity boards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LEC_Refrigeration

From memory, one of outer London's electricity-boards was "SEEBOARD" - South Eastern Electricity Board.
Old 9th May 2014, 11:48 pm   #27
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

G6Tanuki, that's the very company I was talking about.

Cheers
Lee
Old 5th Jun 2014, 7:03 pm   #28
Nicklyons2
Octode

and re post 22 this is the old YEB logo. The one shown in post 22 was the last incarnation before privatisation and, in fairness probably ran for the longest time, only changing in being yellow on green, white on green or green on white. Myself and my old mate Norman who worked for the said organisation, couldn't find a copy of this first logo in print and so the "Cow Lane GSP" has kindly supplied it via its 'foundation stone'. There is/are at least one other intermediate versions which he is trying to unearth - which I'll post if they appear
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	YE roundal small.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	93840  
Old 5th Jun 2014, 8:26 pm   #29
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Electricity Board's LOGOs

Hi,
I knew I had another one somewhere. It's another MANWEB logo on an Ashley bakelite plug. One of those nice chunky ones!
Cheers, Pete.
Old 6th Jun 2014, 10:50 am   #30
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

Hi all

Where these were trademarks and if not too old you might find images via the UK IPO - e.g. http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/t-find.htm lets you search by owner or word...

MANWEB as a word finds this
http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00001376003

Not all have images though, SWEB for example
http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00001283556

But might be of use.

Jeremy
Old 7th Jun 2014, 10:49 am   #31
Nicklyons2
Octode

Here we have the final incarnation of the YEB logo pre privatisation, both myself and Norman who worked for them had forgotten this, it being such a slight variant of that in post 22. The other picture is of the 'new' privatised company logos at the point of privatisation - this was taken from a share offer brochure for electricity industry staff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	YEB last.jpg
Views:	5123
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	93877   Click image for larger version

Name:	electric logos.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	93878  
Old 17th Jun 2014, 8:43 am   #32
whyperion
Hexode

Unfortunatley, due to lack of space all the in-laws collection of every YEB/Npower envelope and martketing insert logo and style from 1980s onward I sent to the recycling- I knew I should have kept them. I have retained the bills for now though which similary change in shading and logo variations.(I might have time to scan if anyone is interested)

On plugs I have a (non-electricity showroom one) Granada Plug (MK), its currently fitted to mums fridge/freezer.
Old 20th Oct 2014, 12:02 am   #33
unabridged
Tetrode

apologies for delay and reviving this thread but i finally found my examples

EMELEC and SWEB

SWEB is a bit beyond repair as the body has cracked (yet strangely stays intact). EMELEC is now in fantastic order.

Both EDISWAN so I assume pre 1964

Hope they are of interest
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4151.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	98990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4152.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	98991  
Old 20th Oct 2014, 9:52 pm   #34
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmoley1 View Post
When I lived in Essex as a child, the Eastern Electricity Board traded as "Easelec" and most of their products, including plugs, were marked as such.
Another E, I think: Easeelec, http://uk.trademarkdirect.co.uk/easeelec-856627 . My father was a distribution foreman in Norfolk, so was able to buy items from Eastern Electricity's range at a modest discount, though the only thing I'm sure was branded Easeelec was our first washing machine.

Paul
Old 21st Oct 2014, 10:41 pm   #35
McMurdo
Dekatron

Here in the MEB area the 13A plugs from the electric board were branded 'Electra' and were MK.
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 5:59 pm   #36
Gillian
Pentode

Where I grew up in Hampshire,the Southern electricity board(SEB),did not seem to have their own branded plugs and just seemed to use Electra branded Volex,Legrand and MK plugs.The MK plugs were usually fitted to Washing machines and the like.
I remember even Tesco had their own Delamare plugs ,but that's slightly off topic.
Gill
Closed Thread