UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2014, 6:44 pm   #1
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Signal Generator RF

Here is a nice little project for home construction I thought others might like to have a go at building, this one is my mark two version as the first one simply would not go no matter what I did. The case came from a factory that was shutting down so here are some pictures of the progress, I have included the circuit details which will not need much explanation, the veroboard that covers a hole is for a little three inch LS for a built in practice oscillator (Morse)

Regards

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis Top.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	98968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Component View.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	98969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	98970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top (coil assy).jpg
Views:	305
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	98971  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PWsiggen2.PDF (510.0 KB, 259 views)
Old 19th Oct 2014, 7:08 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Signal Generator RF

Something that you might need to address later is control of the output level. Very often when aligning a radio, or fault finding, you need to start by injecting a high-level signal, then reduce to very low level as you progress. That means that the oscillator needs to be really well screened and the power cable well filtered and decoupled. Without those features, you'll radiate so much RF that it will limit the usefulness of the sig gen.

B
Old 19th Oct 2014, 11:50 pm   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Signal Generator RF

An attenuator which 'tells the truth' over the required freq. and voltage-level ranges, and adequate screening, are probably THE two biggest challenges in the design and build of any signal generator. Moreover, as the freq. goes up, the problems also rise - and usually disproportionally. (Double the freq., quadruple the problems - or something like that. )
And it's those two factors (attenuators and screening) that significantly contribute to the cost of lab. type sig. gens.

Al.
Old 20th Oct 2014, 3:18 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

May I put that PDF document on http://www.vintage-radio.info/ please? It could be of interest to others.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th Nov 2014, 2:32 pm   #5
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hi Paul, yes of course by all means put the PDF of the circuit on your site, in fact anyone can copy it as far as I am concerned.

There are a couple more pictures that members might like to see so here they are, and it completes the project..

Regards

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SigGen (HB) 001.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	99840   Click image for larger version

Name:	SigGen (HB) 002.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	99841  
Old 7th Nov 2014, 3:48 pm   #6
KeithsTV
Nonode

This looks like the same circuit as the one in this thread

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=27184

There's also another version using the now unobtainable Denco coils.

Keith
Old 11th Nov 2014, 2:00 pm   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Thanks Ken, now added.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 11th Nov 2014, 5:49 pm   #8
lesmw0sec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
An attenuator which 'tells the truth' over the required freq. and voltage-level ranges, and adequate screening, are probably THE two biggest challenges in the design and build of any signal generator.
Very true words. Some while back I completed a DDS signal generator. One reason it was worth finishing as a serious piece of kit was the fact that I had in the junk box, a nice attenuator from a defunct generator and which was controlled by external DC logic. A VGA did the 'set carrier' and modulation functions.

To make a reliable attenuator over a wide range usually requires some machining facility to isolate the switch sections and resistors. One of the best examples I have seen being the Marconi TF801 (I think!) VHF/UHF gen.

Les.
Closed Thread