UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2017, 9:42 pm   #1
els1967
Pentode

Default Crimping on a budget

I've been experimenting with trying to find a decent way to replicate the ways of the GPO cords and have in the past experiment with various crimps, the most "successful" of these was the "forked ferrule" type, the problem here being that the insulation has to be stripped which was a major fiddle in itself, not to mention fitting the bare copper strands into the ferrule. A bit of strain relief could be applied with a bit of heat shrink but I found a weak point was always at the tip of the crimp and the copper strands would often snap. However, this method, I have found, works well with solid copper cores, if the cord is unlikely to be disturbed.

So it was back to the drawing board. So the GPO crimps have this sort of "folded" in way of crimping and crimp directly on to the wire without the insulation being removed, and after much searching and experimenting I have found that the die needed is a A03BC

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1120994510...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and the crimp needed is a

http://www.te.com/usa-en/product-60234-2.html

The crimp has two very small teeth that cut through the insulation without having to strip back the insulation giving a very strong crimp without risk of the cable snapping. A little heat shrink finishes the job of very nicely.

This method has worked very well for me and I suggest it as there simply doesn't seem to be any information available on the internet about the subject and I suspect that many people are resorting to soldering. I like this method as it seems a great deal closer to the original GPO method and I have derived a great deal of satisfaction from replicating the past methods on my GPO telephone restores. I'm not sure if this is right or wrong, all I can say is it works well for me!

On the down side, I have two crimpers and the dies did not quite "fit" correctly on one set, literally out by .25 of a mm, but fitted well on another, although to me the crimpers look identical, so a bit hit and miss. The dies fitted on a crimpers I bought from Screwfix some years ago. Also the crimp is slightly wider than the die, so a little "re-crimping" may sometimes be needed to finish of the crimp to the full length.

Of course, it is also possible to buy "pre made" GPO cords from Ebay, but if you want to make your own then this method may be more economical if you need to make very many cords and already own a crimper.

ps, the crimps can be sourced from RS Components.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0261.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	141365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	141366   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	141367  

Last edited by els1967; 22nd Apr 2017 at 9:47 pm.
Closed Thread