UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2017, 8:45 pm   #1
Rennie93
Triode

Default Panasonic NV-FS200 Power Supply

Hello,

This is a power supply from a Panasonic Fs200 SVHS. The machine works "ok" but I'm starting the process of checking everything over to see if there is anything I can replace or update. Attached is an image of the PSU. There is an old "electrical" smell from inside the machine and the HIFI audio doesn't work properly.

I was curious as to the discolouration and marks on the bottom centre? Has something leaked? The caps look ok superficially. Any initial thoughts would be welcome.

r
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170415_111019.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	141037  
Old 15th Apr 2017, 9:41 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Panasonic NV-FS200 Power Supply

Looks to me more like something has been on fire!

Possibly that orange component near the green wirewound resistor. If it's a Tantalum capacitor (which were never particularly smoke-tight), most modern electrolytics will substitute just fine in older circuits -- they have improved since those days.

The sooty deposits may well be conductive, so do clean them off.
Old 15th Apr 2017, 10:05 pm   #3
Rennie93
Triode

It did look rather suspicious! Like I say the machine seems to work ok.

I'll get myself the service manual and a soldering iron and see if I can fiddle about.
Old 15th Apr 2017, 10:12 pm   #4
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Fret not - that is absolutely fine. Mine was just the same - its just baked on dust from convection.

I have just rebuilt an FS200 PSU as felt that the capacitors had been in there long enough - and sure enough the secondary ones were all starting to weep around the leg. Change all the secondary capacitors and then try the machine again - you may well fix any buggy issues.
Old 15th Apr 2017, 10:22 pm   #5
Rennie93
Triode

Was it easy enough to get the PSU out? Looking at the service manual briefly (albeit for AG1980) it seems to suggest it should just lift out after 3 screws are removed? The 1980 manual is great and really goes into depth whereas the fs200 manuals I've seen so far really only talk about taking the panels off.

Last edited by Rennie93; 15th Apr 2017 at 10:28 pm.
Old 15th Apr 2017, 11:16 pm   #6
IanNVJ35
Heptode

It was a doddle. Two black screws on the back and two holding the PSU in from the top. It just lifts out as a block, with two connectors to release when you pull it out a little way. Make sure you use good quality Panasonic low ESR types - don't buy Teapo or Suntan brand.
Old 16th Apr 2017, 10:20 am   #7
Rennie93
Triode

Will give that a try then. Many thanks.
Old 17th Apr 2017, 11:11 am   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I'd agree - on one of these you need to use Panasonic 105 degree parts. CPC stock them - use the better quality gold coloured ones like those that are in there.
Don't forget these machines were usually left in standby, often in a poorly ventilated cupboard for many years, and the board bakes in the heat. I've seen far worse soldiering on!
The poor hi-fi could be worn heads, although the capacitor change may well get everything going well. It's the right place to start, anyway.
Glyn
Old 18th Apr 2017, 10:14 pm   #9
Rennie93
Triode

I'm going to take a look and see if I can do it myself. Obviously with a PSU I'll need to be cautious.

Worst case I'll take the PSU to a local tv/dvd repairer. Maybe they'd be prepared to replace the caps for me, even though they don't do VHS machines anymore. In this case I'll definitely pass on your recommendation for the Panasonic 105 degree parts.

many thanks!

r
Old 18th Apr 2017, 11:41 pm   #10
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Some desolder braid and a nice quality iron like the 25 Watt Antex and you will do fine I'm sure. Make sure to use leaded solder as lead free won't mix (called reflow solder).
Closed Thread