UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Mar 2017, 9:54 pm   #1
flyingtech55
Octode

Default Finishing of an oak plinth

Could one (or more) of you chaps conversant with cabinet work give me some advice on treating an oak plinth that I have made. The wood is quite light in colour and I would like to give it a 'finish' without substantially darkening it or making it too glossy. The wood is bare as it has been passed through a 'thicknesser' prior to the construction of the plinth. I was thinking along the lines of Danish Oil. What sort of finish would this give to the oak?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Tim
Old 31st Mar 2017, 10:15 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Finishing of an oak plinth

Shellac sanding sealer applied by brush would be a good choice. Basically, it's like French polish, but with microscopic grain filler in it, which is especially good with open grained timber such as oak and ash. You can also get cellulose sanding sealer, but it dries quite quick and of course gives off disagreeable (and without adequate ventilation, dangerous) fumes, so is best avoided.

Shellac sanding sealer is invariably used by woodturners, sometimes as a base coat before applying friction polish, but often just couple of coats of sanding sealer sanded between coats, which gives a very acceptable finish. Over the years I'v posted threads on various homebrew projects which I've housed in comb-jointed boxes that I've made from oak and mahogany. They've all been finished with shellac sanding sealer and polished with paste-wax.

It's easier to apply and to get better penetration if thinned 50/50 with the correct thinners. (NOT cellulose).

Just a note of caution where oak is concerned, never be tempted to use wire wool on it as it may react with the tannin and turn the oak black. (Vinegar with wire wool soaked in it is often used as an ebonising stain by woodworkers/Woodturners.

Danish oil would be fine if you prefer that, but do leave a day or two between coats as it doesn't just 'dry' - it goes through a chemical change.

Just my thoughts - others may have alternative advice and suggestions.

Good luck with it Tim, whatever you decide to do.
Old 31st Mar 2017, 10:30 pm   #3
flyingtech55
Octode

Excellent...thanks. Where do I get the shellac sanding sealer from?...oh and the correct thinners?

Tim
Old 1st Apr 2017, 10:54 am   #4
brunel
Heptode

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pain...+Sealer/p13474
Old 1st Apr 2017, 7:36 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

You can use methylated spirits as thinners. Try the sealer first before you thin it - different makes do vary in their consistency. Make sure you shake it thoroughly as the particles do settle out from the shellac. For the more adventurous who like to get into French polishing etc, J Penny Ltd supply quite a wide range of products, such as French polish (flakes or ready made), button polish, lacquers, waxes, pearl glue and so on.

https://www.jpennyltd.co.uk/shopping...ion.php?id=109
Old 5th Apr 2017, 9:56 pm   #6
flyingtech55
Octode

Thank you all for your advice with this. I have now almost completed the piece...I have just got the felt pad to attach to the underside and the inscription to apply when I get it. It is being sourced by my pal Paddy. I got the shellac sealer from Toolstation who have it in stock. My girlfriend is going to look through her stock of crafting supplies to see if she has a suitable piece of felt I can use. If I/she can't find anything suitable I will apply some of this little round, sticky back felt pads you can get in the Pound shop. Anyway, here is the result of my labours...

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0335.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	140503   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0337.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	140504   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0338.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	140505  
Old 5th Apr 2017, 10:03 pm   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Well done on that Tim - it looks great! Nice grain on the base! You can buy 30cm sq pieces of felt in several colours including brown and green from 'The Range' (and quite possibly Hobbycraft). Easy to fit using fabric adhesive applied to the wood (not the felt!).
Old 6th Apr 2017, 10:00 am   #8
flyingtech55
Octode

David

Thanks for your kind comments and the pointer as to where to get the felt. The failed piece of aeroplane was destined for the scrap bin so I rescued it as I thought it would make an interesting piece of artwork. I intend to donate it back to the club as one of the annually awarded trophies for achievement. Whether they'll actually want it is of course a matter of some conjecture.

Tim
Old 6th Apr 2017, 10:11 am   #9
flyingtech55
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunel View Post
Thanks Brunel

They had it in stock in my local branch. Would never have thought of going there for it!

Tim