UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Feb 2017, 1:16 pm   #1
Aristotle
Tetrode

Default Hacker Sovereign 3.

Have managed to acquire a Sovereign 3 in reasonable working condition.

It needs a good spruce up and various minor cosmetic bits doing plus MW and LW switches need cleaning but main thing is the dial scale is perfect.

Typical though is the plastic battery holder has cracked one end and been strapped up with sellotape.

Can anyone recommend how you've repaired a battery box with an effective glue (araldite, epoxy ?) which would make an effective strong repair on this type of plastic as the holder seems to be made in the kind of shiny plastic that some glues don't stick to.

Failing that any other repair that could be made ?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

David.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170216_115109.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	137746   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170216_114433.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	137747  
Old 16th Feb 2017, 2:04 pm   #2
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: Hacker Sovereign 3.

Looks to be in great condition so I can understand you wanting to keep it original. However I would suggest that replacement is better than any repair. Try looking at Maplin to see if they have one of the correct capacity and shape.
Good luck,
Peter
Old 16th Feb 2017, 4:08 pm   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

I would 'strap it' using some fibreglass cloth applied with the appropriate fixing cement. If that seems like it will be too thick for where it has to sit in the set, then get some thin but strong material (ribbon?) and hold it in place using Araldite back and front in a similar fashion. I doubt if any glue in the land is going to be able to bridge and hold those gaps alone, you will need a 'strap' or two.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 9:58 pm   #4
Aristotle
Tetrode

Thanks for suggestions.

Have had a look at Maplins and there's not a replacement holder that would suit and as suggested I'd like to keep it as original as possible.

Having given it a good "think" after a good clean to get any residue off it - I'll try to rebuild the shape with an appropriate glue.

Then to provide the strength it will need to retain the batteries and the pressure of the springs some kind of strapping soaked in epoxy or some such.

The repair can't enlarge the size much because of the restricted shape of the aperture it's to fit in.

As said the problem may be what glue to use as the plastic has the waxy appearance that some glues don't stick to - - has anyone repaired one and what glue did you use.

David.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 10:04 pm   #5
Jonster
Heptode

I would think that proper Araldite (not the quick setting stuff) would be ideal for this. If the intact parts of the holder that are being adhered to are sanded to produce a 'keyable' surface I imagine it would stick well and be pretty strong. As you've noticed they are a pretty tight fit in the radio so the overall height needs to stay the same, no bulges!
Old 18th Feb 2017, 1:26 pm   #6
stevehertz
Dekatron

Yes, Araldite will stick to most surfaces if degreased and keyed/sanded.
Old 18th Feb 2017, 5:58 pm   #7
af024
Octode

Wasn't someone on here looking into the possible commissioning of some new production holders (some time back now granted)? Does anyone have an update on that?

Regards,

Andy
Old 18th Feb 2017, 6:16 pm   #8
Paul_RK
Dekatron

We've just been discussing them at the Hacker group, after I noticed that http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-det...DSF-ND/2439355 appears to be a current offer from a UK supplier to bring them over from China, albeit with a minimum order quantity of 100. I was thinking such an order would be realistic for anyone willing to sell them on to fellow enthusiasts, and that the holder would be too demanding an item for current 3D printing to tackle, but it turns out a member has been working already on a possible 3D-printed replacement.

I can't but think, on the basis of the holders I've met, that a successful repair to an existing one involving gluing would only result in the thing splitting somewhere else at an early date.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 18th Feb 2017 at 6:28 pm.
Old 18th Feb 2017, 6:32 pm   #9
af024
Octode

Interesting developments then. Thank you for your update. Yes 100 of them sounds perfectly realistic.
Old 18th Feb 2017, 7:36 pm   #10
stevehertz
Dekatron

The only problem about making plastic components in China is, just about everything made in China from plastic splits or breaks - seriously. In fact I recently put a thread out on this very subject on Facebook, gaining lots of responses, all agreeing with me how everything splits or breaks. So, on the face of it it's a great idea and a 100 run quantity is not too onerous, but personally I would want some pretty good assurance that the plastic was good quality, strong and stable before I bought one, otherwise what's the point in doubling up on split battery holders? If they're guaranteed made from good quality, long term stable plastic, great.
Old 24th Feb 2017, 8:07 pm   #11
tim.norris
Hexode

Just a thought have you tried anyone on the forum who does 3d printing ?,
Regards, Tim
Old 24th Feb 2017, 9:45 pm   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I see that the screenprinting on your set is excellent. Do be very careful when you clean it, as it could be wrecked surprisingly easily if you're unlucky!
Old 25th Feb 2017, 7:41 pm   #13
wireless_john
Heptode

I noticed that! I have two and they're both poor. :-(
Old 25th Feb 2017, 8:31 pm   #14
mhennessy
Dekatron

Anecdotally, I've found that if they're still good, they're likely to stay good. Obviously the way they were treated is a big factor, but it seems like the ones that are worn were printed less well initially. I'm sure Hacker sub-contracted these to more than one company.

Either way, definitely treat it with kid gloves.

I'm awaiting delivery of a potentially suitable holder from China - just a couple of quid on eBay. It's wire-ended, but otherwise looks promising. If not, then hardly a large sum wasted. Will hopefully be in a position to report back in a few weeks time.
Old 27th Feb 2017, 4:55 pm   #15
Aristotle
Tetrode

Reporting back on the repair of the Sovereign 3 battery holder.

Started off with a thorough clean getting the old sellotape off with acetone and cleaning up the faces of the cracks to get a good surface for the glue. Decided to pick up Jonsters suggestion for long setting Araldite so I had time to position everything.

As I cleaned the piece of holder behind the spring came away just to make it more fun !

First stage was to rebuild the shape filling in the cracks and holding together with Araldite then left overnight to set and go hard. Used elastic bands to keep it all together.

Next following Steve's suggestion used some woven tape which I narrowed by cutting off a strip of about 4mm wide so the sealed end didn't come too high up the side of the holder. Interestingly cutting this strip off gave an advantage when spreading the Araldite as the tape frayed and the fraying spread into the glue giving it a strong key also being fairly open weave the Araldite sank into the weave making it stronger. Also sanded the area on the holder where the tape was to sit to provide a key.

I glued the tape to just the end of the holder first and again let it go off overnight. Before gluing I made up the corners by pinching the tape in pliers so they had a good 90 degree corner to them - forming the corners made it easier to locate the tape on the end.

Next day I had the tape nicely secure to the end which gave an anchor to stretch the tape down the sides soaked in Araldite to provide a good position, did not press too hard so left a reasonable quantity of Araldite in the tape and between the tape and holder.

Next day it had all gone off pretty well - then sanded any excess glue and stray wisps of fabric. Put the batteries in and it it felt pretty strong.

It does not look terrifically neat but it will do - think if I was doing it again I'd take the tape all the way down the sides and just round the corners of the far end - so that end too had the benefit of the extra strengthening.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.

David.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170227_140550.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	138266   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170227_110047.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	138267   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170227_110529.jpg