UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Feb 2017, 9:36 pm   #61
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Sounds of the Sixties - Brian Matthew

In the same way that the Farad is an inconveniently large base unit for capacitance, the base unit of smugness, the Robinson (named after Robert) is similarly over-large for daily use.

Most normal people tip the scales at a few dozen microRobinsons, maximum. One milliRobinson is getting fairly bothersome. Tony Blackburn approaches a whole Robinson - And he witters pointlessly over the music.

Brian Matthew played better music and he made a better job of playing it. I always learned something new and discovered something new to me in his programmes.

David
Old 16th Feb 2017, 9:37 pm   #62
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Truth is, I really don't like the sound of a DJ's voice intruding into the flow of music.

OK, let a DJ put together a playlist and tell us the names of the tracks/artistes/record-labels-on-which-the-music-is-available, but apart from that the less vocal-intrusion from the DJ the better. We're thankfully out of the days of "needle-time" restrictions so the old requirement for DJs to provide acoustic-wallpaper 'filler' in the gaps between tracks is no longer relevant.
Old 16th Feb 2017, 9:43 pm   #63
Thyristor
Pentode

I've read Brian is doing a farewell programme on the 25th Feb.

This Saturday is Sir Tim Rice's last programme; one review I read, described Rice as being "..like a Geography teacher on a Monday morning.."

Tony Blackbore takes over on the 4th March.
Old 16th Feb 2017, 11:52 pm   #64
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I've been listening for the last 3 hours or so to Radio D...?,( I forget the name and can't find the quote!!) playing all the lovely music of the 1920s & 30s. So rarely heard on any of the usual outlets
Old 16th Feb 2017, 11:59 pm   #65
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Radio Dismuke? My favourite. Thanks to Duke Nukem for originally alerting us to this station some years ago.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 17th Feb 2017, 9:28 am   #66
vidjoman
Dekatron

Online 60's music here -
http://v4.mystreamplayer.com/thesweetsixties?autoplay=1

also 50's and early 60's here -
http://v4.mystreamplayer.com/thedoow...ess?autoplay=1

I swop around to get a change.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 11:38 am   #67
G4XWDJim
Octode

The DJs I can't stand are those who start their programme with a task or challenge for people to phone in about. A programme that needs the assistance of the great unwashed is not worth listening to. Phone ins - yuk!

Jim
Old 17th Feb 2017, 12:46 pm   #68
Junk Box Nick
Octode

There was a 'Light Fantastic' themed weekend on Radio 3 a few years back - a shame it hasn't been repeated. Just the thing to play through a 1930s woody! I learned an awful lot from those programmes and discovered lots of gems that I wouldn't have given a moment's listen in my youth. John Wilson, of whom I didn't know much beforehand but am now a great admirer, did much to rescue old scores that were on their way to landfill. It is always worth looking out for performances by his orchestra - musicians queue up to play in it.

Views on DJs and presentation will always differ and music stations seem to diverge into two different camps - those that are about the music, such as Radio 3 and (probably, because I rarely go there) 6 Music. Radio 2 falls into the 'lifestyle' category, at least during the day, and so is a lot more about presenter personality. Therefore it was a bit of an anomaly that Brian Matthew was on at breakfast time on a Saturday morning but it was a hangover from an earlier period in the life of R2. Now he is finishing it's an opportunity to move the show further out of the main schedule and change format a little at the same time.

(I'm not saying that Brian Matthew was without personality, far from it, but he's never been a smashy and nicey style presenter.)
Old 17th Feb 2017, 3:07 pm   #69
stevehertz
Dekatron

From some of the comments made I think that there are those who forget - or don't see - that nowadays programmes are generally presented as 'shows'. The idea that you have record after record with someone simply announcing each one, maybe with a few factual comments thrown in, would appear to be seen as passe by most producers these days. I quite like that format and it's how Brian did it pretty much. But you only have to look at radio 2 these days and the way that the presenters 'put on a show' rather than just play records like radio 1 did in its early years. That's why I like Tony Blackburn, he's somehow able to combine both types of presentation that I just mention; announcing the records whilst including - admittedly corny - asides at the same time. And Tone doesn't take himself too seriously on air. That's nice compared to some of the more recent, clearly egoist DJs that seek to promote themselves while laughing at others.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 6:53 pm   #70
Colourstar
Octode

As a result of the re-jig of Saturday mornings on Radio 2, Radio 4's 'Feedback' programme has the Head of R2 Lewis Carnie on as a guest next Friday. Questions are invited to be submitted via email , so now is the time to make your point folks.

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006slnx/contact

Steve
Old 17th Feb 2017, 9:03 pm   #71
Radio Wrangler

Good grief. I've just spent an hour and a bit driving down into the Borders and the car radio's usually on R2. At 19:00 Tony Blackburn came on in the old Desmond Carrington slot and I've just heard 45 minutes of drivel. He starts talking towards the end of each track with about a sixth of it to run, then he keeps on the same distance into the next one. The music seems to be butted seamlessly underneath him. Is it a competition to play the largest number of tracks per hour? We've lost a third of each track. This isn't slick professionalism, this is lowest common denominator rubbish.

Please tell me he isn't going to do both Brian Matthew's slot and Desmond Carrington's!

David
Old 17th Feb 2017, 9:23 pm   #72
Colourstar
Octode

I think Tony Blackburn was best suited to 'Pick Of The Pops' and I don't see why they can't let him have that show back as he was a fairly natural successor to the much-missed Alan Freeman.

'Sounds Of The Sixties' has always been fact-based with plenty of info on the tracks and artists, all beautifully read by Brian Matthew. I just can't see how this is going to work with Tony Blackburn's presenting style, especially if it's being done live. I fear any interesting information about the music will be lost amongst all the shout-outs and 'loving the show' type of tweets. I wonder if Phil Swern will still be the producer?

Steve
Old 17th Feb 2017, 10:40 pm   #73
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

In reply to David's (Radio Wrangler's) post, surely he knows that the term 'Disc Jockey' was coined because they 'ride' the records, i.e. speak over the end of one and the start of the next.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 11:38 pm   #74
Radio Wrangler

I thought that was what radio 1 was for? On radio 2 we used to have presenters and the difference is night and day.

David
Old 18th Feb 2017, 9:07 am   #75
stevehertz
Dekatron

Tim Rice just announced (on Sounds of the 60s) that Brian Matthew will be back on air on 25th Feb presenting a compilation of his favourites.
Old 18th Feb 2017, 10:40 am   #76
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Ah, but don't forget that Tony Blackburn started out on Pirate radio, where the DJ style was, IIRC, the normal way of broadcasting!
Old 4th Mar 2017, 12:48 pm   #77
Colourstar
Octode

Did anyone else hear the new SOTS show? It was pretty much as predicted- starting with 'Flowers In The Rain'. Every record played was an obvious Top 30 hit (groan) with the really interesting rarities which formed the backbone of the show in its previous incarnation, restricted to just one an hour. The bits in between the records mainly comprised TB's trademark corny jokes and a predictable flurry of 'loving the show' tweets and shout-outs. The music was virtually back-to-back and it reminded me of a 60s-themed wedding reception disco. All that was missing was 'Hi Ho Silver Lining'.

I really missed Brian Matthew's measured presenting style and all the back-stories to the tracks. At least there was a bit of breathing space. Presenting the show live (why?) pretty much knocks all of that on the head.

As for the new 6am time slot, in a recent interview Radio 2 controller Lewis Carnie said that as many people now work Saturday he felt there was a need to introduce a breakfast show to cater for them. Really? I've not been aware of any great vocal protest at the lack of one. I'm sure many were quite happy to hear something different at the weekends.

Grrr!

Steve
Old 4th Mar 2017, 1:53 pm   #78
Andrew2
Nonode

I didn't listen to it, but your comments line up pretty well with my predictions. TB is a good presenter, but he's a bad choice for SOTS. He's a DJ, a 'music jock' whereas Brian was far more interested in the bands, the details and the stories.
Old 4th Mar 2017, 2:10 pm   #79
Hartley118
Nonode

I enjoyed hearing Tony Blackburn this morning back on the BBC, fully on form with the resurrected Arnold the dog. A real blast from the past

The intriguing information interjections from Phil "The Collector" Swern make for interesting breaks from Tony's DJ continuum.

I just wish it was on at 08.00 instead of its new unearthly hour!

Martin
Old 4th Mar 2017, 2:17 pm   #80
Colourstar
Octode

I admire Tony Blackburn's longevity and it's good to hear him on the radio doing what he loves best but I really do think that SOTS needs a more thoughtful approach. After all, the devil is often in the detail when it comes to 60s music.

That's just me with my geeky interest I guess.

Steve
Closed Thread